Silicone Implant in Nose Bridge?

Hello, I am a young Asian female who underwent rhinoplasty almost two years ago. I received an I-shaped silicone implant to augment my bridge and septal cartilage was used to raise my tip. I would like to ask whether silicone implants can and often do last forever if they do not become infected. I have heard of something about calcification? If you think silicone is not likely to last forever, what options would you suggest for a permanently augmented bridge? Thank you

Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

Generally nasal implants do not seem to last forever as many patients experience migration, infection, unnatural appearance, etc.  It is always best to use your own cartilage and tissue to build up the nose.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Silicone Implants for Rhinoplasty

+1

Silicone implants for rhinoplasty for dorsal augmentation are commonly done in Asia. If done as an isolated implant, it might work well, but if you also use an L-shaped implant they have a higher sense of extrusion. I, personally, do not use anything but autologous tissue, meaning that I use,  the patient’s own cartilage including septum and ear or rib. Therefore, I do not prefer to use silicone implants because of the extrusion rate.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Silicone nasal implant

+1

Thank you for the question, LuLuLu

it will last forever but you may notice the skin and soft tissue around the implant may thin with age making the bridge appear less "tall" or augmented.  In some cases if the skin thins significantly edges of the implants can be visible.  If it's been a few years then you probably don't have to worry about scar tissue, calcifications, or infection.

it the look is changing and you want something natural that is also long-lasting ear cartilage or rib cartilage can be used.  

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

A silicone implant will last forever in the nose, unless there is a reason to remove it.

+1

Hello lululu2013,

Thanks for your question.  Simply put, a silicone dorsal nasal implant will last forever unless something forces it's removal.  Typical reasons for the removal of an implant are as follows: malposition, calcification, extrusion, infection, thinning of the overlying skin, chronic foreign body reaction, over-visualization of the implant ("fake look"), and patient choice.  More natural options for "permanent" augmentation can include cartilage (nasal septum, ear (concha), and rib), calvarial bone (outer table of the skull, and diced cartilage-fascia (DCF) grafts.  Each option has its' pros and cons.  Seek the consultation of a specialist in Asian rhinoplasty.  It is important to note that permanence is a relative concept since your face will continue to age and you would hope to have as natural a look to the bridge of your nose for as long as possible.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

DCF (diced cartilage fascia) to augment dorsum

+1
Silicone implants can look great for many years, but they are not a permanent solution.  At some point, you implant will likely need to be removed.  The nose can then be left alone, or augmented with tissue from your own body.  A very nice way to augment your bridge in a safe, permament fashion that will give you a very natural result is the DCF technique.  You can learn more about it below.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD