Nose Implant Showing, Normal? (photo)

I had my surgery one month ago and got a L-shaped silicone implant. Few days ago I think I can see my implant and its not getting batter. Is this normal? Please help I'm really worried. If the implant will be taken out could there something else been done instead at the same time?

Replace with I-implant or cartilage

+1

Morning Siggatun

This is pretty common, actually.

If your skin is a bit thin or your implant isn't a great fit then the implant can show and often does later in life as a patient ages due to thinning of the skin and soft tissue around the implant.  

You can:

1.  Remove it and replace it a month or two later with a better sized implant.

2.  Remove and replace with cartilage from your ear or rib at the same time.  However, if the pocket created by this implant isn't deep enough then placing cartilage at this time may show as well and not survive as well. 

I'd remove and replace with either cartilage or a new implant in about two months.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exposed silicone bridge implant

+1

It is not normal for your silicone nasal implant to be visible. You should discuss your problem with your surgery or another rhinoplasty surgeon who can examine your nose.

There are options for augmenting the nose with your own cartilage which is carved into a graft and has a much lower risk of extrusion.

You can learn more about Bridge Augmentation at my reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Visible edges with silicone implant

+1

It's not uncommon for silicone implants to become visible because as they exert pressure on the skin, the skin begins to thin.  Your implant does not appear it is in need of urgent removal, since there are no signs of infection or extrusion.  At some point in the future, the implant could be replaced with tissue from your own body.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nasal implant showing?

+1

If your nasal implant is showing then if it is extruding or coming through the skin, then it will need to be removed. Best to see your surgeon.

Nasal Implant Showing

+1

It is never normal for a nasal implant to show through the skin. This generally implies that the implant is extruding (being pushed through the skin by the body).  You will need to see you plastic surgeon as soon as possible to be evaluated.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Implant Showing, Normal?

+1

If the silicone implant is "showing" than this needs immediate removal! Best to see your surgeon ASAP! Otherwise infections could occur. 

Implant with Rhinoplasty

+1

Prosthetic nasal implants are prone to malposition and extrusion. For this reason, I only use the patients own tissue for augmentation.  If your implant needs to be removed, there are alternatives available.  At this point, it is very important that you consult with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty

Jarrod Little, MD

Nasal Implant Showing

+1

It is not normal to see the outline of a nasal silicone implant. Your implant is not centered and will always give you the appearance of an asymmetrical nose. Over the last 35 years I have never used silicone implants because of the risk of movement, extrusions, and infection. I prefer to use the patients own cartilage which can be fixed and will become incorporated with the surrounding normal tissue. This can still be done after removal of the implant. 

Not normal to see the actual silicone implant.

+1

Not normal to see the actual silicone implant.the silicone can be removed and replaced with septal cartilage. This can be done at the same time. See a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Nose Implant Showing, Normal?

+1

You are early in your recovery, and I have a somewhat difficult time evaluating your concerns from the one picture.  The implant can be trimmed or repositioned if necessary or it can be removed and replaced with cartilage grafts.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA