Signs of Botulism from Dysport

I've used Botox for over 10 years with no issues ever! Tried Dysport last summer and experienced signs of spreading to other areas of the body(trouble swallowing-lost 18 lbs, continuous low grade fever, all over muscle weakness etc) Went to several doctors, had every lab and ct/mri scan which were all normal. I reported possible spreading to FDA and Dysport. Haven't had any injections since 6/09. Since I had a bad reaction am I more likely to have another one?

If sensitive to one botulinum toxin you are probably sensitive to all.

+1

Given your reaction,  I would avoid any of the botulinum toxins. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing that would make one toxin more likely to spread then the other. However, it is possible that you had an intravascular injection with systemic spread.

Unusual reaction to Dysport

+1

Although a systemic reaction to a typical cosmetic dose of Dysport is extremely unusual, I agree with the other opinions on this topic.  Generalized muscle weakness after a Botulinum toxin type A treatment would rule you out from future injections with Botox or Dysport.  I would also contact Medicis and the involved Doctor or clinic and confirm that you actually received Dysport and not something else.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would Not Recommend

+1

While the molecules differ between Dysport and Botox, more is similar than different. You would not know which part caused this very unhealthy reaction. So I feel that there would be far too much risk for a totally elective procedure. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botulinum toxin

+1

In my practice you are NOT a candidate for any of the Botulinum toxin available on the market.

Reconsider

Illness after Dysport

+1

Are you wondering now if you should try Dysport again?  My answer would be NO.  I think you may have the same reaction again.  If you've done fine with Botox, you might consider trying that again.

Carmen Kavali, MD