My Side Profile is Fine but my Nasal Bone is Too Wide

my side profile is fine but my nasal bone is too wide so can you break and narrow the nasal bone without removing the dorsal hump or effecting the natural profile of my nose, and if so how is it done?

Narrowing the Nose

+2

Rhinoplasty is one procedure that requires an examination in order to gain a realistic idea of what the procedure will or will not entail. The short answer is that the nasal bones can be narrowed without reducing a dorsal hump given that the individual patient's anatomy is favorable.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow nose without changing the profile

+1

It is certainly an acceptable to undergo osteotomies to narrow the nasal bridge. This will not change the profile, only narrow the frontal view. Both medial and lateral osteotomies often need to be performed and a cast is placed across the bridge of the nose. Be prepared for approximately two weeks of bruising and swelling after the procedure. This can be done through a closed rhinoplasty.  

+1

Yes the width of the nose can be narrowed without affecting the profile, but your surgeon has to decide what needs to be done with you.  I'm wary when patients make aesthetic and surgical decisions by themselves. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD NY, NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Reducing Wide Nasal Bone with Rhinoplasty without changing profile

+1

Yes, the width of the nasal bones may be narrowed without really altering the profile. Rhinoplasty is not one operation, but many potential operations. Each patient has unique anatomy and personal goals. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Surgery

+1

Yes...but first see a Board Certified Plastic Surgery or ENT that specializes in Rhinoplasty. Nasal bones can be narrowed by infracturing them. An experienced nose surgeon will also inquire about your breathing and overall nasal function, because a good looking nose that does not WORK is a real problem!

Good luck and talk to as many surgeons as you feel comfortable with....

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Narrowing Nose Without Changing Profile

+1

Of course you can narrow your nasal bones without changing your profile. The difficult part of the procedure is selecting an experienced surgeon.

Narrowing Nasal Bones Only During Rhinoplasty While Remainder of Nose is Left Alone

+1

Hi 6867,

Yes, your nasal bones can be narrowed without affecting the rest of your nose.  You should discuss your desired rhinoplasty goals with your prospective surgeon during your consultation and be absolutely positive that your surgeon understands what you want.  Likewise, your surgeon who is ultimately sculpting your nose needs to be honest with you that just narrowing the bones will result in a nose that is aesthethically pleasing.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Narrowing a wide nose

+1

Yes, it is possible to narrow a nose without effecting the "roof" or dorsum and creating further elevation of that area. The procedure is done slightly differently and I would make sure you see a rhinoplasty expert to achieve that type of correction.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes what you specifically request is possible. But you did not post any photos so very hard to discuss in detail of any form. Best to see in person 3 boarded surgeons in your area. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Osteotomies are typically used during Rhinoplasty Surgery to narrow your nose.

+1

You do not need to have a dorsal hump removed to narrow your nose. Lateral osteotomies, and sometimes medial osteotomies are performed during rhinoplasty Surgery to narrow the front view of your nose. This does not need to affect the appearance of your profile or the height of your nasal bridge.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon