Retin-A Before and After Rhinoplasty

I finished a 6 month course of Accutane about 3 weeks ago and began using Retin-A last week for maintenance. I am scheduled for a rhinoplasty/septoplasty in a little over a week and would like to know if and when I should stop using Retin-A prior to the procedure, and resume after?

No Elective Surgery for 9 to 12 Months After Accutane Treatment

Hi Cynthia,

Cancel your surgery!  You should not have elective surgery for at least 9 to 12 months after Accutane treatment.  Retin-A can be stopped about one week before a procedure.  Good luck and be well. 

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Accutane 3 weeks Before Rhinoplasty? Bad Idea

If you finished your Accutane 3 weeks ago, your Rhinoplasty should be postponed for about a year. Accutane inhibits the ability of the skin to heal properly; if you have not disclosed this fact to your Surgeon, it's time to get on the phone.  In my practice, the intake sheet specifically asks if a patient has been on Accutane in the last year in order to prevent mishaps.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Accutane And Rhinoplasty

If you completed your Accutane treatment just 3 weeks ago, cancel your scheduled septorhinoplasty. Wait at least 6-9 months before having the surgery.

Hi CynthiaS! 

If you completed your course of Accutane 3 weeks ago, then I would recommend that you postpone your Rhinoplasty for approximately one year. This is what I tell all of my Accutane using patients and believe it is the standard of care...looks like my colleagues in this thread agree. Your wound healing and scarring capacity are significantly affected by the mechanism of action of the accutane...GREAT on acne, BAD on surgical scars.

Good luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS

Tretinoin & Accutane should be discontinued before Rhinoplasty or elective Facial surgery

Hi CynthiaS,

As other cosmetic surgeons have stated, one should not have elective facial surgery for at least a year or more after stoppiing Accutane, brand name for isotretinoin. On the other hand, Retina-A, a brand name for tretinoin, which is a different drug, may be discontinued a few weeks before surgery. One must disclose all medications to their plastic surgeon before cosmetic surgery. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon to help determine appropriate options. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Retin-A Before and After Rhinoplasty

You should delay your operation due to the Acutane use not the Retin-a use! PLEASE call your surgeon to discuss the chances of severe scarring from Acutane use!!! THIS IS VERY SERIOUS ISSUE. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091