Sharp Breast Pain and Wobbling of Saline Implant Right After Mammogram

I have had saline implants for over 14 years with no problems. I just had my annual mammogram and during the procedure I felt a sharp pain in my right breast, which has not gone away, three days after. My mammo came back normal. The pain is not constant but is extremely sharp when I bend or jump. The size or appearance of my breast appear have not changed and appear normal, but the implant feels like it is moving more than the other one, and I can feel ripples when I touch it.

Sharp Breast Pain and Wobbling of Saline Implant Right After Mammogram?

+1

Sharp Breast Pain and Wobbling of Saline Implant Right After Mammogram? It could have been that the maamogram caused a closed capsulotomy.

+1

Hi Luna,

It sounds like the capsule, or scar tissue surrounding the implant may have been torn during the mammogram, and now the breast is softer and you can see rippling because of this.  As long as your breast shape has not changed, there is no need to have a re-operation, however if the pain persists, you should be evaluated by your operating surgeon.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Seek in person examination from a boarded surgeon in your area to determine if scar tissue was injured. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Pain after mammogram with breast implants

+1

Mammography should not be a problem with breast implants, and though most women rarely think about their implants, when a mammogram is called for it is important to let the mammographer know. Compression views are difficult and there is an adjustment in the test for those with implants where additional views are taken to see over and around the implant. Tenderness after a mammogram where the breast is compressed will usually clear after several days with a good support bra, and an anti-inflammatory for the pain. After 14 years in a saline implant leak becomes possible, and if you does lose volume see your surgeon for prompt replacement.

peterejohnsonmd

Sharp pain in breast

+1

Mammograms can squeeze the breasts quite a bit and cause some pain. If it persists you may want o have it evaluated.