I Would Like Cleavage but Have a Wide Sternum - Will I Get Cleavage with 300cc Silicone Overs or is 350cc Better?

I am 5"7.5 I weigh 122lb. 40 years old. I breast fed two children and sag some. My current size measures a 34AA (breasts measure 6 inches is that a AA? I read a A cup is 7inches)

Do Breast Implants Give You Cleavage

+5

Breast Implants increase Breast volume and thus certainly increase cleavage that you will see when wearing a bra.

By themselves Breast Implants to not create cleavage when you are undressed.

However Breast Implants can certainly increase the width of the base of your breast and give a fuller look when not wearing clothing.

Generally the pocket for the implant can be made wider during the Sub glandular (under the breast) approach than with the Sub muscular (under the muscle) approach.

"CLEAVAGE" is a Four Letter Word in breast Implant Surgery

+4

Regarding: "I Would Like Cleavage but Have a Wide Sternum - Will I Get Cleavage with 300cc Silicone Overs or is 350cc Better? "

An attractive Breast Augmentation is nothing more than an artistic accentuation of the "positives" and avoidance of the pitfalls involved in doing so.

IF your original breasts are located at the front (not side) of the chest, close to one another (IE natural cleavage) , their bottoms end along the same horizontal line, their nipples lie along the same horizontal line AND, most importantly, you have enough breast tissue to COVER any implant you may want (to hide its ripples) - you will be able to have an attractive augmented breast of almost any size.

If we define CLEAVAGE as the ability of the breast to hold a pencil when they are NOT in a bra - that goal cannot be matched in your case without greatly and irreversibly distorting your breasts. IF on the other hand we define it as the ability to hold a pencil once a well suited pair of implants are placed and you ARE wearing a bra, that goal is reasonable.

Cleavage is nothing but the closeness of the inner edges of the breasts. If the breasts are naturally far apart, the only way to get then together THAT close is by placing very WIDE implants which in most women with your frame will NOT be covered by the breast tissue. If placed under the muscle, the muscles would have to be detached off the vertical chest bone which may lead to a "uni-boob". NOT a good result. That is why the short sighted search for cleavage is responsible for a lot of the poor breast augmentation results out there.

In my opinion, your anatomy does not lend itself to a natural, attractive breast augmentation AND "cleavage" without a bra on.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Breast Implants Will Not Make Cleavage With A Wide Sternum

+4

While implants do make the breasts bigger, they very rarely make cleavage on their own. (that is what bras do) With your widely separated breasts, cleavage will definitely not result from the placement of any reasonably-sized breast implants whether they are placed above or below the muscle. Trying to make cleavage by going above muscle with your thin skin and small breast volume is a mistake in my opinion. Settle for the better long-term implant result of under the muscle  and accept that cleavage without a bra is not a possibility with your breast/chest anatomy. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Want cleavage

+3

The size of your implants will not determine cleavage.the making of the pocket will determine this and it is a judgment call on the part of the surgeon just how close you can make the pocket so size is not that critical.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage from Breast Implants

+2

The larger the breast implants, the more projection of the breasts and the larger your cleabvage will be. A breast implant though does not change the shape of your breasts, no matter whether it is anatomical, contoured, it just takes the shape that you have and projects it forward. It does not cause an uplift. If your nipples are poointing outward, it will not cause them to point inward and vice versa. The only way of accomplishing that would be with an uplift(mastoipexy). Watch my videos!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I Would Like Cleavage but Have a Wide Sternum

+2

Very common question. The answer is not what patients want to hear. A wide sternum is an anatomic condition. You were born with it and there is not much you can do to solve the problem. If a surgeon tries to put the implants closer together, it will distort the appearance of the breast and since there are no natural fold or separations in the sternum, you are at risk for synmastia (loss of claevage) "unaboob". Not pretty, difficult to fix. Remeber everyone's body is shaped differently. Celebrate your uniqueness. Good luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Breast augmentation and cleavage

+2

It is very hard to get natural cleavage (without a bra) if the breasts are far apart. Your thin tissue and breast shape make it unlikely regardless of the implants used. Please discuss with your surgeon but consider a silicone gel implant that is based on your breast width.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tough starting point for breast augmentation

+2

You do not have an easy starting point for a breast augmentation because you are sooooo thin and have so little breast tissue.  The issue of cleavage is answered by the width of the implant getting closer to the midline, not by the volume of the implant/

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

It's a tradeoff, and 50 cc won't make the difference

+2

Dear lady,

I would advise you not to select larger implants than what you intended for the sole purpose of improving the cleavage.

it is not the 50 cc extra that will determine the cleavage, but the positioning of the implant. You seem quite thin, so the implants most likely will need to be placed under the muscle. The attachment of the muscle prevents the implants to be placed very close to the midline, even if the attachments are released during the surgery.

The best option is to select implants with a rather wide base, and with a surface (polyurethane if available, or else textured silicone) which will prevent the implants to be pushed outward by your pectoral muscles.

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage is dependent on anatomy

+2

If you have breasts that are placed wide apart, a good bra is the best way to create cleavage after a breast augmentation.  Trying to place implants closer together or choosing excessively large implants just to have better cleavage will leave you wishing you didn't do that.

for an augmented breast to look good, the implant should be placed in such a way that the nipple will become the most prominent part of it.  In the case of the round implants, it means the implant should be centred behind the nipple.  In the case of shaped implants, the most prominent portion of the implant should be right behind the nipple.  However if the implants were place closer together in a patient with a wide space between natural breasts, then yes, a cleavage could be created but the natural breast tissue would be falling off the side of the implant and point out laterally.  Not a pretty sight.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD