Could Septorhinoplasty Fix my Hyponasal Voice?

Hello, my names Luke and in a couple of weeks I am receiving Septorhinoplasty. This is my first surgery ever and am fairly excited for the results. But, I have a very nasally voice and it is noticeable to others too. After the surgery, should my voice sound normal? Or will it still ve very nasally. My doctor stated that my septum is extremely deviated and my entire left nostril is almost completely blocked off, during examination he couldn't even get the camera that far up.

Septoplasty or Rhinoplasty and Voice Changes

+2

Thanks for the great question. If your nose is very blocked (particularly by a deviated septum), the airflow may be reduced enough to cause a change in your voice. In some cases, this can be improved by septoplasty or rhinoplasty, since the nasal airway would be made wider/more open. This improves the resonance of the voice and allows air escape through the nose during speech.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your question.  Yes, a septoplasty can have an effect on the voice, especially if there is near complete blockage.  A Rhinoplasty, on the other hand, has little effect on the sound of the voice.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Fixing a severly deviated septum can help a hyponasal voice.

+1

On the other hand, rhinoplasty and even septorhinoplasty will not affect your singing voice. From long conversations with a PhD in speech language pathology who works with professional singers of all types, the singing voice is generated from the lungs, throat and larynx (voicebox). Nasal surgery will not affect the way you sing unless you have a rare hyponasal voice that some old time rock and rollers depend on

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Septorhinoplasty of help with patient's voice

+1

Most patients who have a severe deviated nasal septum and have a very “nasal” voice do get improvement  when a septoplasty is formed. Rhinoplasty performed only for cosmetic purposes and has no bearing on the nasal voice.

Septorhinoplasty and Voice Improvement

+1

It is possible that a septorhinoplasty will have some minor positive effect on your voice but that should have a low expectation on your part. Any improvement should be viewed as a bonus from the procedure, not as an expected outcome from it.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

It is possible that opening your nasal airway will create a less hyponasal resonance of your voice. However, that will also depend upon your speech patterns and how much your deviated septum contributes to this issue. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Not at all. You will need speech therapy treatment .

Translation provided by doctor:

De ninguna manera, usted necesitara tratamiento de fonoaudiologia.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon