Had Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty and the Roof of my Mouth Hurts

Is it normal for them to be hurting, almost the feeling you would get if you burnt your mouth, but I know that I didnt?

Roof of mouth pain after septoplasty

+3

You describe a relatively common complaint after septoplasty, that is temporary.  One of the nerves that serves the roof of the mouth travels through the lower portion of the septum, so patients can often get temporary disruption of this nerve with work lone on the lower septum.  Pain, numbness, dental pain, or dull throbbing are all part of the spectrum.  It usually goes away quickly, as in the first couple of weeks, but will continue to improve well past the surgery as it eventually gets to normal.  Nothing else you can do but wait.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Roof of Mouth Pain after Septorhinoplasty

+1

I assume you had the septorhinoplasty recently. Abnormal sensations in the roof of the mouth may temporarily occur after surgery. Be patient and share this with your surgeon.

Roof of Mouth Pain After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Either the pain is from tubing or gauze packing that is placed into the mouth by anesthesiologists when using LMA tubes, or by chiseling off some of your inferior septum during your septoplasty, the nerve was affected.  Usually when the nerve is affected it is manifested by numbness or achiness in the front upper teeth.  The pain usually resolves in a short amount of time.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Roof of Mouth Discomfort after Septoplasty

+1
Septoplasties come in various degrees of complexity; From fixing a minor deviation / convexity either in the front, top or bottom to having to detach a buckled and rotated septum (much like a door that is collapsed but hanging on its hinges) and straighten it. In the latter cases, the bottom of the septum is separated from the vomer a bony reef that juts from the roof of the mouth. That may be the cause of your pain. I would discuss it with your surgeon as he is the only one who knows what he faced inside your nose. Dr. Peter Aldea

Rhinoseptoplasty and pain

+1

Yes this can be a complaint found after this surgery.  You probably had some work done on the septum, especially at the base which is why you have this feeling.

This will go away in time, I would not be overly concerned.  I would recommend you do discuss this with your surgeon.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD