Had Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty and the Roof of my Mouth Hurts

Is it normal for them to be hurting, almost the feeling you would get if you burnt your mouth, but I know that I didnt?

Roof of mouth pain after septoplasty

+3

You describe a relatively common complaint after septoplasty, that is temporary.  One of the nerves that serves the roof of the mouth travels through the lower portion of the septum, so patients can often get temporary disruption of this nerve with work lone on the lower septum.  Pain, numbness, dental pain, or dull throbbing are all part of the spectrum.  It usually goes away quickly, as in the first couple of weeks, but will continue to improve well past the surgery as it eventually gets to normal.  Nothing else you can do but wait.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness/pain after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Roof of Mouth Pain after Septorhinoplasty

+1

I assume you had the septorhinoplasty recently. Abnormal sensations in the roof of the mouth may temporarily occur after surgery. Be patient and share this with your surgeon.

Roof of Mouth Pain After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Either the pain is from tubing or gauze packing that is placed into the mouth by anesthesiologists when using LMA tubes, or by chiseling off some of your inferior septum during your septoplasty, the nerve was affected.  Usually when the nerve is affected it is manifested by numbness or achiness in the front upper teeth.  The pain usually resolves in a short amount of time.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Roof of Mouth Discomfort after Septoplasty

+1
Septoplasties come in various degrees of complexity; From fixing a minor deviation / convexity either in the front, top or bottom to having to detach a buckled and rotated septum (much like a door that is collapsed but hanging on its hinges) and straighten it. In the latter cases, the bottom of the septum is separated from the vomer a bony reef that juts from the roof of the mouth. That may be the cause of your pain. I would discuss it with your surgeon as he is the only one who knows what he faced inside your nose. Dr. Peter Aldea

Rhinoseptoplasty and pain

+1

Yes this can be a complaint found after this surgery.  You probably had some work done on the septum, especially at the base which is why you have this feeling.

This will go away in time, I would not be overly concerned.  I would recommend you do discuss this with your surgeon.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD