Can Septoplasty Make Bridge Appear Stronger, Taller and Straighter?

i had a rhino-septoplasty about a month and a half ago and i hate how the bridge of my nose looks. i didn't ask for a taller, stronger bridge.what i wanted was the septoplasty done so i could breathe easier and a small bump removed from the tip and he suggested taking the tip in a little, which i now regret.i used to have a nice slight sloping on my nose before this rhinoplasty and now its so tall and high i look so different. could this be swelling? and is there a way to take the tip back out?

Unhappy after rhinoplasty, what can be done?

+2

Swelling and other soft tissue changes along the tip of the nose take time to evolve after rhinoplasty.  The skin is a little thicker in this area and months are required for it to shrink-wrap to the underlying framework.  The skin over the bridge of the nose is very thin and reveals changes much earlier.
  I typically explain to my patients that it takes a full year for all of the swelling to be completely absorbed from the nasal skin.  I would not consider a revision procedure for at least six months because the soft tissue is still changing.

You have several concerns about your procedure and I would recommend meeting with your surgeon to discuss them.  The bridge of the nose can appear wider after a septorhinoplasty if spreader grafts were placed.  Spreader grafts are a great tool to improve nasal obstruction and difficulty breathing.  Since you had trouble breathing through your nose before surgery, spreader grafts might have been used.  However, only your surgeon would know.  This is another reason why meeting with your surgeon would be a good idea.

Hope this helps

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty to Change Nasal Bridge

+1

You will need a revision rhinoplasty, not just a septoplasty to make the changes you describe. However, it is not important what we call the procedure. All members of this panel could provide better descriptions and recommendations about revision techniques if you provide pictures of your nose. But wait another 6 months - you're only 6 weeks post-op.

Septoplasty on Nasal Appearance

+1

Hi springflowers,

Typically, septoplasty does not alter the appearance of the nose. Septoplasty removes cartilage and bone inside the nose the open the breathing passages. Septoplasty help improve congestion due to a deviated septum. Septoplasty is commonly combined with rhinoplasty to both improve breathing and appearance of the nose. Your rhinoplasty procedure altered the bridge. Swelling generally takes a long time to resolve after nasal surgery, and a couple months is still very early after surgery. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, Septoplasty removes cartilage/bone septal deviations blocking the nasal airway.  The height and shape of the nasal bridge must be a result of direct manipulation of the external nasal cartilage and bone during a Rhinoplasty.  be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Unhappy after rhinoplasty

+1

Excess dorsal contour this soon after rhinoplasty is probably due to swelling.  In the absence of severe disfigurement it is usually best to wait 8-12 months before considering revision surgery.  Keep your head up when you sleep and give the results a chance to mature.  Next time include some pictures so we can more helpfully evaluate your situation.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Dorsum and septoplasty

+1

It certainly possible that the dorsum is still swollen.  Did your surgeon put grafts on your dorsum?  Was it just a septoplasty?  It should not in and of itself elevate the dorsum.

Undesired appearance post rhinoplasty

+1

If you are only a month and a half out, there is still a significant amount of swelling, so that you may not be able to say what the final result is.  You need to wait at least 6 months, and probably a full year to determine the final look.  I would express your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  Did they put in a graft over the bridge, for example? If so, then they may want to take it out down the road.  Again, however, one has to be patient. Of course, if you post pictures, that is always helpful for answering questions.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon