Can I Have A Minor Nose Job To Fix a Bump?

So I love the appearance of my nose from the front and I don't have a "big" nose but I do have a bump to it from the side. I want to have the least bit of work done to the point where I still look like I am related to my family. I would be fine with just a less noticeable bump (as in not completely straight) so I was wondering, is it possible to get a surgery that Will simply make the bump smaller? And if so, will it still cost as much in general as it does a full out nose change? Thank You.

Rhinoplasty to reduce a hump.

+2

Hello Trisha,

Rhinoplasty can certainly be limited to addressing the areas that are of concern to you, in this case a hump. Hump removal can be certainly be performed alone. A trained Facial Plastic Surgeon experienced in rhinoplasty will be able to thoroughly examine your nose and the rest of your facial features and recommend to you what best suits your nose and face. Whatever is done, the key word is "subtle" to remain natural and retain your own characteristic features.

In terms of price, some surgeons will charge less if a rhinoplasty is limited to a hump with no tip work whereas others will charge a flat fee regardless of what for is done. Geographic location also determines what the local "market" price is for surgery.

Best of luck.

Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Hi Trisha,

If you just have a dorsal hump, then a simple rasping can do the trick. It all depends on what your nose looks like. Cost is dependent on your geographic location anywhere from 2500 to 10,000.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Meet with a Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist for consultation.

+1

No one feature affects the way you look as much as your nose. Even a minor correction, such as the hump you describe, can make a difference in overall facial harmony.

As Rhinoplasty is the most complex and sophisticated procedures I perform in my practice (and is unique to each patient), my recommendation would be to meet with a Rhinoplasty specialist for consultation.  

At consultation, you will be able to review photos, discuss your expectations, and review options.  A non-surgical fix using a dermal filler such as Radiesse or Perlane may even be a low cost option (ranging $650-$1900).

The cost will be ultimately be determined based on the type of procedure needed.

We find computer imaging to be a vital part of our cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty consultations. In this process, we take photos of the patient and “morph” or “photoshop” them on the computer to give the patient a simulation of the appearance of the nose following surgery.  

Remember- the goal of Rhinoplasty Surgery is not to have the perfect nose, but a nose that is perfect for you. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minor Nose Job to Fix Hump

+1

After 35 years I can say I've never done two rhinoplasties exactly the same. Working with an experienced surgeon, you can decide what changes will be made. Charges for any surgery will vary depending on what is done during the operation. A limited rhinoplasty will cost anywhere from $5,000-$10,000.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and yes, you can gently rasp down the dorsal hump.  Rasping alone offers no magic and is just another way to remove the bone creating the hump.  The nasal bones are quite thin and once that amount of hump has been removed, by the rasp, further reduction will create an "open roof" deformity...requiring lateral osteotomies to break the bones inward.  In your case, less would need to be more.

Local abesthesia, IMHO, does not protect your airway from aspirating blood and the nose can and does bleed profusely at times.  Blood aspiration can lead to a serious pneumonia.  Safety is frst IMHO, then following the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty is next highest priority for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  Be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon sets the same priorities and I would strongly suggest general anesthesia with airway protection.  As for the matter of price.  You do get what you pay for, IMO.

How to fix a bump on the nose...

+1

If you have a minor bump on the bridge of your nose it is certainly possible to shave down the bump while doing nothing else for the nose, and this can sometimes be done with only a local anesthetic.  Most patients want more of a change and need to have general anesthesia so the surgeon can perform a more extensive procedure.  During this procedure the tip can be changed, the bump be brought down and bridge made slimmer, if necessary.  The cost for the rasping of a bump is usually lower than a complete rhinopIasty, but it is vital to see a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty for a complete evaluation.  Sometimes some things other than rasping a bump may be needed to give a good, natural result. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minor surgery to reduce a small bump

+1

There are a number of different options to improve a bump on the bridge of the nose, but the best choice depends on the overall appearance of your nose and your goals. If you have a "low" bump with a relative weakness at the top of the bridge, a non-surgical rhinoplasty can be done using a semi-permanent filler to improve the profile. Otherwise, if it is a minor bump, then often the bridge can be reduced through an endonasal. or internal approach. The expense of the surgery is generally related to the amount of work needed and should be less than for a more extensive approach.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finesse Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Trisha, I often refer to this type of cosmetic nose reshaping as a finesse rhinoplasty procedure. There are many patients out there who benefit from this type of finesse change to the nose where a subtle reshaping here and/or there can result in a nice enhancement without looking much different overall. I have included a link to our dedicated rhinoplasty site here in San Diego, CA where we discuss this type of cosmetic nose reshaping procedure. With regard to the costs associated with this kind rhinoplasty procedure, there might be some savings. However, you will likely still require the customary anesthesia and facility usage that goes along with a standard rhinoplasty procedure. So in the end the cost savings may be marginal. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Minor" Nose Job?

+1

Yes, it is possible to reduce the nasal hump without doing much else to the nose. However, depending on your specific situation,  other “alterations” to the nose may be necessary to create a balanced/harmonious nasal appearance.

In person consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons will be most helpful.

Dorsal bump

+1

Sometiems all it takes is minor rasping. But if the rasping is extensive because the bump  is large, you may need bone infracturing as well.  Hard to say without an exam.