Separate Breast Lift and Augmentation Procedures Due to Multiple Issues?

I have several issues - saggy breasts, asymmetry (nearly a full cup size difference), and loss of what little volume I had due to 135 lb. weight loss.

From what I've read, I believe I'll need a Breast lift and Breast augmentation, but I'm a little confused. Are they usually performed at the same time? I have consultations scheduled for next month, but I wanted an idea of what to expect.

Breast Lift and augmentation in one operation is safe

+2

Breast augmentation and a breast lift performed at the same time can be safe in the right experienced hands. The forces of the lift are counteracted by the augmentation and the scars can widen with the extra pressure of the implant, but if your surgeon is aware of these factors and carefully plans before, during, and after the operation, wonderful results can be obtained.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with a lift

+2

These procedures are often performed together. Much is often said about a surgeon's experience and if he is 'comfortable' doing it at the same time. My feeling is more along the lines that many surgeons are experienced enough to know that a patient will leave if they are told two surgeries is in their best interest.

CAN it be done all at once? Of course, we do it all the time. SHOULD it be done all at once? Of course, we do it all the time. I think the most relevant question is directed towards do you have favorable anatomy for it to be done all at once (All bets are off if you smoke). There is a group of patients with difficult anatomy for this to work out. Some of my best results are from staged surgeries that simply could not have been done in one. The most often is to do both surgeries in one operation but be sure that your surgeon does stage them if it is necessary.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Single Stage vs Staged Approach

+1
A breast lift and breast augmentation can be performed at the same time ("single stage") or at different times ("staged").  The most suitable option for you depends on the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon. 

Single Stage:
The advantages outweigh the minimal risks involved with the procedure for suitable patients. It reduces costs, only one anaesthetic is administered, and there is only one recovery period.  

The Staged Approach:
This is more common and benefits include a good control over the outcome of each procedure, since the subsequent procedure can be better designed to improve on the results that have been achieved, there is a lower rate of additional surgery to correct undesirable results, since it is harder to predict results from the single-stage approach and a better selection of surgical techniques to minimize incisions and resulting scars. There is also a lower complication rate as the single-stage approach is associated with higher risks and complications, including disruption to the blood supply to the tissues and capsular contracture.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Separate breast lift and augmentation procedures due to multiple issues?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These two procedures can safely and effectively be performed in one setting, given you are healthy and without medical comorbidites to prevent such.  Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. However, more importantly than the financial aspect, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the breast as well as nipple-areolar complex may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time. If for this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures.  Given your history of massive weight loss, I would not be surprised if the recommendations would be for staging of the two procedures.

Certainly it is you decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery whow ill discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are - sometimes multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons is helpful for you to decide. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Augmentation/mastopexy - separate or together

+1

I typically perform both of these procedures at the same time. I find this works well and most patients would rather have one operation rather than two.  There are several situations where I do think it is in the best interest of the patient to have the procedures performed separately but these probably account for only a small percentage of cases.

The breastlift or mastopexy portion of the procedure is a breast reshaping operation.  The nipple is raised and the breast is reshaped around this new nipple position and a more youthful shaped breast is created.  The areola is usually reduced in diameter.  

The breast augmentation portion of the procedure is used to provide primarily fullness in the upper portion of the breast, improved projection and to improve the overall shape of the breast. Typically when the two stage operation is completed there is a scar completely around the areola and there is a vertical scar from the lower part of the areolar to the breast fold.  In some cases there is a scar in the fold as well.

In cases where there is considerable sagging of the breast or if the breast is already larger a two stage procedure may be best. I agree with having several consultations. Ask to see before and after photos as well. Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Stage or combine breast lifts and breast augmentation: one or two surgeries

+1

Surgeons vary greatly on this difficulty of this decision. IT is my impression that most surgeons perform a combined procedure but may caution patients that a revision may be required for the best result as opposed to performing two procedures and guaranteeing that more than one is necessary

Mastopexy and Breast Augmentation

+1

You pose a great question. Many surgeons prefer to perform the mastopexy seperately from the augmentation, however many surgeons feel comfortable doing both at the same time. If you have not had any other surgery to your breasts that would affect the blood supply to your skin, there is no reason that you could not have both done at the same time. I would be sure to ask the surgeons during your consultation what they prefer and why, and be sure to look at their before and after photos. A picture speaks a 1000 words! Good Luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Lift are typically done together

+1

Unless there are medical issues, I do not see the benefit of staging breast augmentation and lift. Both procedures can be performed together, resulting in one anesthesia recovery and potentially saving you money as well.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and breast augmentation are usually performed together

+1

In the vast majority of patients, breast augmentation and lift can and should be performed in one procedure. However, no rule applies to everyone and every situation. My suggestion to you is to spend your time and energy finding a highly qualified plastic surgeon who is experienced in treating patients like yourself. Make sure you are comfortable with him as you will be working with him for quite some time. Once you find the surgeon, let him guide you on what is the best way to proceed. It is his job to guide you and plan the procedure. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation can be performed at the same time, but surgeons will vary in their preference

+1

Hi there-

Breast lift and breast augmentation CAN be safely performed at the same time, but for various reasons some surgeons may prefer to stage them for you (do them on different days).

Your best bet is to first find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust, THEN worry about which technique they prefer. The surgeon you decide on will know what works well in their hands.

I think one of the bigger mistakes patients make with regularity is choosing a surgeon based on either a price point they like, or based on the surgeon agreeing to do the operation the patient wants.

Be careful.

Find a good surgeon you like and can trust- and listen to them.

For help finding a surgeon, please read this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS