Damage from Pinching Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I'm 12 days post-op from a secondary Rhinoplasty. I had spreader grafts and lateral crural strut grafts and a columellar graft were all used in my septum. I didn't need my bones broken. I'm nervous I've done something wrong. My face has been so stiff and my nose so hard from the swelling, so I used medium pressure and pinched the middle part of my nose (narrowing it) and then moved this with motion down and out away from my nose. Could I have caused any damage?

Post rhinoplasty nasal massage

+1

The nose is naturally swollen and firm after rhinoplasty surgery. As others have already mentioned, most patients should keep their hands off their nose in the immediate postoperative period. Sutures, reshaped bones, cartilage grafts, and septum are all very sensitive after surgery. Although unlikely, manipulating your nose could potentially disrupt your plastic surgeon's work. Speak to your rhinoplasty surgeon and ask when you may start touching or massaging your nose again. Best of luck.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Massage after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hands Off !! Although some surgeons recommend gentile massage following rhinoplasty, it would be foolish after all the grafts placed by your surgeon. Swelling is temporary, moving those grafts may be permanent. Schedule an appointment with your physician.

See your doctor to evaluate the problem.

+1

It is normal for your nose to be hard and swollen. Patients should never manipulate their nose after surgery. See you doctor to evaluate whether you have done any damage to your nose. 

Rhinoplasty; Keep Hands Off of the Nose

+1

Hi Savvy,

Keep your little hands off of your nose, use them to dial your rhinoplasty surgeon's office, and make an appointment to see your doctor. Most likely you have not done permanent damage, but you are not helping yourself.

The nose is normally stiff and firm for weeks after the type of surgery that you have had.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD