Vanquish, CoolSculpting, Zerona. What's the Best?

What are the options when it comes to non-surgical fat reduction (besides not eating and working out) those are obvious and are already under way. What are the risks?

We have experience with Vanquish, CoolSculpting and Zerona for fat reduction.

I have experience with Vanquish, CoolSculpting and Zerona.  We have had our CoolSculpting device now for over 5 years and were the first office in Orange County to have Vanquish.  We obtained our Vanquish in January, 2014.  We have had very nice results from both of these devices.  CoolSculpting works by freezing the fat cells and causing the cells to die.  This device is ideal for localized areas of fat such as the 'love handles' and 'bra rolls'.  The downside of CoolSculpting is that it takes one hour per localized area.  Vanquish utilizes a large panel which lies very close to the skin and can cover a broad area.  Vanquish then heats up the fat cells to over 110 degrees fahrenheit to cause the fat cells to die as well.  As you can see, you can reduce fat cells by taking them to either extreme in temperature for enough time.  Both devices take some time to see the final results.  Results can be impressive in certain patients.  I don't compare the results to liposuction as I feel I can obtain better results surgically, but not everyone is interested in surgery.  It is best to obtain a consultation to see which device is best for you.  With regards to Zerona, it utilizes low level energy to supposedly cause fat cells to 'leak'.  I had the device for several results and patients seemed happy; however, I returned the device as I felt they achieved their results from the exercise, diet and supplements that were recommended with it.

Vanquish, CoolSculpting and Zerona

Here is a breakdown of the difference between the three devices:

• Zerona uses a cool laser to address fat on the waist, thighs and hips
  • Results of Zerona have been unimpressive

• CoolSculpting good for very targeted fat reduction
  • Some people have temporary discomfort or soreness afterwards
  • "Dimpling" is very rare with CoolSculpting 

• Vanquish good for larger abdomens
  • New applicators are coming out to address fat reduction on the thighs

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Vanquish for Fat Reduction

Vanquish is the latest adancement in non-invasive fat reduction. Unlike some other products, it treats a very large surface area: abdomen, flanks simultaneously, and it is virtually 100% pain free and relaxing. Our patients and staff have been very pleased with the results in San Diego.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Freezing and heating fat works - Zerona doesn't

Vanquish is the latest in non-invasive fat reduction. It is FDA-approved for deep tissue heating, but clinical studies demonstrate fat reduction after treatment. Vanquish heats fat using RF (radio frequency) - specially tuned electricity that in this application targets fat without injuring other tissues. Treatment consists of 4-6 weekly sessions. It does not contact the skin, and the treatment feels like sitting under a warm blanket for 30 minutes. Average loss of waist circumference after treatment of the waist and flanks was 2 1/4 inches. Vanquish has a large "spot" area that can treat the abdomen and sides of the waist simultaneously.

CoolSculpting or Zeltiq is "cryolipolysis" or freezing of the fat. A suction cup like applicator is used to freeze the fat over a 1 hour treatment time. The skin after treatment feels like a stick of butter and is massaged. Occasionally, patients have discomfort in the treatment area that requires pain management. Results take around 1 month and result in around 20-30% fat loss in the area of treatment. New treatment regimens recommend that patients have multiple applications to sculpt the area of treatment smoothly and avoid irregularities.

Zerona is a fairly obsolete technology. Although I do not have the technology myself, feedback from colleagues is that it is not very efficacious. It also requires diet and exercise recommendations in order for Zerona to work.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Vanquish, CoolSculpting It's all about choices

Great questions, but let’s compare apples to apples and add some science as well. It’s all about “fat busting” getting rid of those fat cells, and doing so without surgery, and that’s what Vanquish, CoolSculpting and Liposonix do. They injure fat cells, so the body then eliminates them. Zerona is in a different ball park. It temporary shrinks the fat cells, but doesn’t knock them out. So how to choose? It’s all about choice. Vanquish is new and it offers (for the first time) a chance to treat it all - the full tummy and love handles in four treatment sessions. CoolSculpting has been a great choice for our patients as well. It is better for that more focused bothersome area of excess fat. For us and maybe for you, the answer is a combination of treatments, with many options.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Vanquish, Coolsculpting and Zerona. Which is the Best?

I get this question all the time since we have both Vanquish and Coolsculpting in our office.  We have done the most Coolsculpting in Orange County for the past three years.  Zerona  is based on low level LED lights to cause the fat cells to leak fat temporarily.  However, with Zerona you need to adhere to their diet supplements also.  Zerona long term has not proven to be effective.  Coolsculpting is designed to be for local areas of fat.  It is limited by the ability of the machine to suck the fat into the applicator.  Coolsculpting is great for localized areas of fat that can fit into the applicators.

Vanquish is completely different in that the technology utilizes a large three panel, no contact device that delivers radiofrequency waves into the fat to melt the fat without pain.  The science of Vanquish specifically targets fat so we have seen inches of fat loss within several weeks.  One of the main advantages of Vanquish is that you can cover a large area such as the abdomen and the love handles with the panels in one treatment.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Non-invasive Fat Reduction

We have done a trial with Zerona and we offer Coolsculpting and Vanquish as well as Smart Lipo in our office. Zerona took too much patient participation (!) for us to offer it. Its success is dependent on diet and lifestyle changes that are great but I felt our staff would really have to work with the patients to assure that they got the results possible and we just are not geared for that type of interaction.

We have had Coolsculpting since its inception. I love the science behind it and it does kill fat non-invasively. We have definitely gotten great results for SOME patients and my advice is to make sure you have the right problem for Coolsculpting to be the solution. Patients who need 1-3 applications to grab the majority of their abdominal fat do very well!

We added Vanquish because it seemed likely to help patients for whom Coolsculpting would be too expensive and time consuming to give visible results. That has proved to be the case. For big tummies, our patients that follow the protocol and hydrate well the day before, day of, and day after treatment are seeing more than the average 2 inch loss that the company promotes after 4 weekly treatments. Those patients are thrilled because it is quick, neat and painless.

I think both systems have a place in our fat fighting arsenal.

Rutledge Forney, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

SculpSure - the best non-invasive fat reduction treatment

Your question dates back two years ago, so I am not surprised you did not reference SculpSure, the new and only FDA-approved laser to provide the quickest treatment (25-minutes) and easiest recovery (none).

Patients complete the treatment and walk out of our office ready to resume their ordinary activities. Sculpsure is a non-invasive lipolysis device that leverages controlled and targeted hyperthermic laser. The technique dives past your dermis for minimal absorption and then penetrates deeply to destroy subcutaneous fat.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available.  A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experience with Vanquish, Sculpsure, Coolsculpt, Zerona, & Ultrashape

I have personally used all four machines and continue to use Vanquish and Sculpsure to provide the most effective, permanent fat removal. 

For circumferential reduction (losing inches around the waist or thighs), Vanquish has the best reproducible results.  In Houston, our patients typically lose 2 inches and two pant sizes.  There is no limitation to a patient's size or BMI.  The fat reduction is permanent and the procedure is painless.  It feels like you are sitting under a heating blanket. 

The Sculpsure is the only device in the world that uses a laser (1060 mm) to permanently remove pockets of fat.  Up to four areas can be treated in 25 minutes.  The ideal candidate is a person who is fit but cannot remove stubborn areas of fat.  Like the Vanquish, the patient feels warmth over the fat areas being permanently removed.  The treatment is incredibly effective and pain-free. 

The Coolsculpt device uses a vacuum suction to permanently reduce fat pockets.  Similar to Sculpsure, the ideal candidate is looking to remove smaller pockets of fat.  The difference is pain noted with the suction and the hour long treatment for one area.  The results are highly dependent on the person applying the suction.  The most common side effect is numbness and tingling lasting from one week to three months following the procedure. 

The Zerona is not effective in reducing fat.  Theoretically, fat cells are reduced in size but effects are highly variable depending on patients strictly following the prescribed diet.

The Ultrashape may be effective in temporary fat reduction.  Unfortunately, the results are highly dependent on the technician performing the treatment.  The areas being treated must be heated to the correct temperature for the appropriate amount of time.  Results are highly variable and not always reproducible. 

Based on our extensive testing and long term experience, we currently over Vanquish and Sculpsure to permanently remove fat.  Results are impressive, reproducible, and painless. 

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

I think the Vanquish combined with the Z wave gives the best non-painful, non-invasive fat reduction results available.

Vanquish is an efficient, non-painful, non-invasive fat reduction procedure.Bottom line is both Vanquish which uses RF to heat the fat and CoolSculpting, freezing the fat both work.We spent a full year talking to people that had Vanquish and/or CoolSculpting in their office (not the reps) and bought Vanquish.In my opinion, the Vanquish technology is better for my practice for a few reasons.First Vanquish is not painful.In talking to technicians who have used both, the CoolSculpting can be painful to very painful so compliance is an issue.Vanquish is relaxing and does not hurt.It may feel warn, but not painful.Also with CoolSculpting you have to treat one flank, then the other, then the abdomen or in some cases the upper abdomen and the lower abdomen.Vanquish can target all of these areas in 1 treatment.Vanquish can be more cost effective for the provider and therefore the patient as there are no disposables with the procedure.With CoolSculpting you pay for disposable equipment with each use, Vanquish there are no disposables because the machine does not touch the skin.We use the Z Wave with every Vanquish treatment.The Z Wave uses sound waves to “break up” the fat Vanquish destroyed and in my opinion it reduces any lumps and helps the body absorb the fat faster.I think the Vanquish combined with the Z wave gives the best non-painful, non-invasive fat reduction results available.