Is Mark Left by Compression Garment After Lipo Permanent?

The seam of my compression garment left a horizontal dent in my stomach 1 month post lipo. The compression garment ordered by my doctor had a seam that ran about an inch below my belly button. It was very tight after surgery and I noticed a small line left in my skin. I expected it to go away, flatten out esp. since I started wearing a new seamless garment 1 wk after surgery. A month has passed and the line has become even more obvious. The area right below the seam is also very puffy and protruding. My doctor thinks we should monitor it for another month. Worried its permanent.

Not permanent

+1
Indentations are not permanent but can take a little while to go away. Once there is no further drainage from the incisions, you can wear an undergarment beneath the support garment. This will help prevent indentations in the skin and will be more comfortable. The undergarment must be tightly fitted, relatively thin, cover the entire treated area and then some, and have minimal seams. Examples include extra-support, high-waisted, full length pantyhose, leotards, tight t-shirts, and spans. Ask your surgeon if this is okay.

Compression garments after liposuction are usually harmless.

+1

Hi.

We currently don't use compression garments on most liposuction patients. They don't improve the final result.  But we haven't seen garments cause a permanent indentation.  Surface irregularities can be a complication of the procedure itself.  I am afraid that after a month this might well not go away.  But for now, I would be optimistic and wait.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Compression garment seams

+1

creases can occur temporarily from seams or the way the garment folds in on itself when sitting. These lines are often temporary but can take months to resolve. External massage, can possibly help hasten its resolution, but you would have to ask your surgeon about the safety of this.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Irregularities from compression garment wear tend to be temporary

+1

These tend to not be permanent but it may take 2-3 months to see it resolve, It is not uncommon for compression garments to cause temporary irregularities.