Sculptra - Jaw pain after injection, difficulty eating and chewing. How long will this last?

I am a 47 year old female who had Sculptra injected into my temples by a Board. Certified Plastic Surgeon almost 48 hours ago. Since the injection, I have been experiencing upper jaw pain whenever I try to open my mouth. It is difficult to open my mouth wide enough to eat. It also hurts to chew. How long will I have to endure this pain? Also, am I supposed to be massaging the area? I have been reading that other Docs instruct to massage 5 times a day for 5 minutes. It really hurts to massage!

Tender after Sculptra

+2
It is not uncommon to have some tenderness for a few days after Sculptra, especially if more than one vial is injected in a single session.  It is important, nonetheless, to massage the treated areas for 5 minutes 5 times a day for 5 days.  It helps to take tylenol to help with any discomfort -- just don't take more than the recommended daily dose.  You might want to drink cold liquids, suck on ice cubes, or apply cold packs to your face to help with the soreness.

After you see how even and natural the effect is, you may feel this tenderness is worth it.

Sculptra after care

+2
It sounds like what you are experiencing it completely normal. Soreness in the deep fascia area is noticed when you open and close your jaw and chew. This should improve daily and be mostly gone by 3-4 days after your injection - if it worsens or does not resolve contact your plastic surgeon. I tell my patients to expect to eat softer foods for a 1-3 days after sculptra because of this soreness. Massage is recommended after sculptra but no specific schedule - some recommend 3 times a day some 5 - just do the best you can to massage these areas even though they are likely sore.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

+1
Some tenderness for a few days after Sculptra injections is not uncommon and it should go away within a couple of days. It is important to massage the areas. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD