Sclerodex for Spider Veins?

I plan on getting spider vein removal treatments and I was told that they use Sclerodex. Is this the best injectible solution that will achieve the best results?

There are better choices.

+1

Sclerodex is a glucose/saline solution used to inject veins.  Polidocanol (Asclera) and sodium tetradecylsulfate (STS) are more commonly used and both of them can be used in a foamed solution which is now considered the state of the art for sclerotherapy.  Although sclerodex may work, it would not be my first choice.

Naples General Surgeon

Spider Vein Treatment

+1

Spider veins are typically stemming from a blue underlying vein, which is typically treated with one of 2 FDA-approved solutions, Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate (STS) or Polidocanol (either as a solution or foam).  In that same session the small spider veins can then be treated successfully with either polidocanol or glycerin.  If the underlying reticular veins (blue veins feeding the spider veins) are not treated, the spider veins will most likely not resolve.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Pilodocanol (Asclera) and hypertonic saline are the most popular

+1

Sclerodex is not widely used for spider veins and not the best choice, in my opinion.  Pilodocanol and hypertonic saline are my preferred choices.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Polidochanol (Asclera) or STS

+1

Polidochanol is the solution of choice for sclerotherapy with or without foam - also known as foam sclerotherapy. If they are sizeable veins, 4-5 mm and larger, ultrasound guided, and smaller 1-3 mm, straightforward foam sclerotherapy for cosmetic concerns. This solution is very safe. Do not get saline sclerotherapy

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Spider Vein Treatment

+1

I would tell you that they all are effective in a trained professionals hands, but I favor polidocanol and glycerin. the most important thing is to visit with a physician that has a comprehensive vein practice that treats all types and sizes so as to effectively develop a treatment plan to eliminate your unsightly veins. Good luck!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

What solution is used for sclerotherapy, spider vein treatments?

+1

Polidocanol, Sodium tetradecyl sulfate, Saline and dextrose (Sclerodex), Hypertonic saline, and Glycerin are all used for sclerotherapy with varying success. They are all classified a bit differently and have advantages and disadvantages, one of the biggest ones being pain and discoloration after procedures. Personally I use and prefer Polidocanol and have used it for years because its side effects are much lower, and when done by a skilled professional, has very little pain.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD