4 Days Post Sclerotherapy, Experiencing Pain in Calf?

I had sclerotherapy 4 days ago. I'm wearing compression stockings. I have swelling in my feet aching and pain in one of my calfs..shooting pains up leg and aching. Is this normal..

These symptoms are not routine following sclerotherapy.

+1

Sclerotherapy can be associated with some minor swelling and aching in the first day after the procedure but should not have any significant leg or shooting pains.  Calf discomfort is always worrisome as a symptom of DVT.  You need to have a venous ultrasound to rule out a DVT.  You should follow up with your treating physician or go to the ER  ASAP.

Naples General Surgeon

Post Sclerotherapy Pain

+1

Thank you for your question. There are complications after Sclerotherapy such as Deep Vein Thrombosis or clot.  I would recommend seeing your doctor or going to ER to assess and confirm the diagnosis.  If it is, an anticoagulant therapy should be started.   I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Leg Pain After Sclerotherapy

+1

While some mild pain, swelling, and redness is completely normal after sclerotherapy injections to the legs, excruciating pain is not. I would recommend that you seek an expert opinion and visit your treating doctor to make sure that you are healing correctly and not experiencing deep vein  or superficial thrombosis.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy pain

+1
Whenever there is pain in the extremity following sclerotherapy or any vein procedure, re-evaluation is warranted by the injecting physician and also Duplex venous ultrasonography to make sure there is no deep vein thrombosis.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1

I would highly recommend that you follow-up with your treating physician for an evaluation and possible imaging.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Pain After Sclerotherapy

+1

Hopefully by now you have followed-up with your treating physician, but if one leg is more swollen and painful than the other you could have a clot in a deep vein, which would need an ultrasound to definitively say. This is very rare, but possible and needs immediate attention.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

It can be.

+1

if your leg is significantly swollen, you may also have a dvt. however this is extremely rare.  please see your doctor.  more than likely its thrombophlebitis as the vein is shutting down it goes through an inflammatory process.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon