How Soon Can I Schedule Second CoolSculpting Treatment?

planning to have 6 areas treated at the end of sept. (stomach-2, love handles, bra rolls) from what I read, a second treatment is optimal, how soon can i have areas treated again?

How soon can I schedule a second coolsculpting treatment

This is a great question. Although, according to clinical trial as well as my clinical experience, it does take upwards of 4 months to see final results, it has been studeid that doing a second treatment within about 30-60 days can enhance your overall treatment results.

The theory behind this mechanism is with the first treatment you create am inflammatory response around teh fat cells. This disappates about day 60-90 as the fat cells dissolve. If you treat a 2nd time prior to the inflammation  completely resolving, you are able to generate theoretically an even larger inflammatory response with subsequent greater fat volume reduction.

Please see this clinical trial paper I published decomstrating this effect

Brightman L, Geronemus R. “Can Second Treatment Enhance Clinical Results in Cryolipolysis?” Cosmetic Dermatol. 2011 Feb; 24(2): 85-88

How long before you repeat Coolsculpting

While some physicians may suggest waiting 1 month between Coolsculpting treatments, I agree with the research that shows 8 weeks as an optimal time frame.  The inflammatory process is what will rid the body of its fat cells.  This process is not complete at 1 month, so the ultimate results from the initial Coolsculpting treatment will not be revealed at this point.  By two months post-procedure, the inflammatory process should be 80% complete, and you will be able to notice a clear reduction in the fat layers. 

Remember, you may actually not need to repeat the Coolsculpting procedure on the target area. It is also possible that you will need a second treatment to further enhance the results.  Be patient, though, and give your body at least a couple months before deciding on the follow up treatment. 

Coolsculpting and Second Treatment

This is an excellent question.  When coolsculpting first came out, the company recommended waiting 4 months for the second treatment.  Now, five years later, Coolsculpting recommends re-treating the same area 4 weeks after the initial treatment.  This technique will give you the best results in the shortest amount of time.

Interval between Coolsculpting treatments

I generally find that the closer you space your treatments together, the greater fat reduction you get.  With this in mind, I often retreat an area after 1-3 weeks.
Having said that, it is not always about maximizing the fat reduction.  Sometimes, you want to see what you get with one treatment and then develop a modified treatment plan to fine-tune the second round of treatments.  This would be discussed during the initial consultation.

Second CoolSculpting treatment

This answer depends upon where the second treatment area is. If you are treating a completely separate area, the CoolSculpting treatment can be done anytime. If you are treating the same area, we recommend 12 – 16 weeks to see the peak results in the treated area. At that time, you can determine if you are satisfied with the initial treatment, or you need additional treatments.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second CoolSculpting treatment

We recommend treating an area a second time 8 weeks post as this is when we see peak results. Most patients will treat a second and third time to get desired outcome

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Cool sculpting treatments can be repeated on the same area after 30 days!

You can have a second treatment at 30 days.

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

The discomfort from treatment does resolve. Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases. If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

About 2 months

Most patient need to wait 2-3 months after the first treatment to see the final results. If you wish to have a second treatment you should wait at least two months before treating the same area. Some patients are happy with results after the initial treatmnet and they might choose to do another area instead or retreat that same area for additional fat reduction.

Repeat Coolsculpting?

Repeat coolsculpting can be effective in further adipose tissue reduction;  the average time between treatments is 2 to 3 months.

Repeated CoolSculpting Zeltiq treatments

In the last year we have been treating more patients with repeated CoolSculpting per site as we see continued improvement. Typically we had suggested waiting every three months when we first offered Zeltiq but now we have our patients waiting at least two months between treatments, and two to three treatments is not uncommon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon