Do I Need Scar Treatment at 5 Weeks Post Full Tummy Tuck (photo)

Well Yesterday I 5 week Mark of my full TT i went back to see my doctor she couldnt believe her eyes.She was very impressed with my scar & belly button@ just 5 weeks.Although i do have a muffin top she said she will extend my scar for me to give me a better & smaller waist line although alot on here say i need Lipo i will trust my doctor :) I have 2 say i do feel better everyday.She wants to make me the poster child for her office.Now she saids i dont need scar treatment cause im healing well? Is this true?

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Scars take months not weeks to properly fade, especially on the tummy

+1

Yes, your scars are coming along nicely. It takes months not weeks for the scars to slowly and gradually fade.  Massage moisturizing lotion into them 3 times a day and avoid tanning or exposure to the sun.  At the 6-8 week mark is usually when normal scars look their worst and then start to gradually get better.  You appear to be on a normal track.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Patience and silicone gel helpful for scar healing

+1

Scars can take a long time to fade after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and yours looks like it is doing fine one month after surgery.  It will probably be at least six months before you start to see reduction in the pink color, and more likely a year or two before the scar really looks it's best.  I recommend that my patients use a topical silicone gel or silicone gel sheets daily (24/7) to speed the scar tissue maturation and prevent excess scar (keloid) formation.  Brands such as Kelocote, or NewGel or Cimeosil, and others can be purchased at your plastic surgeon's office or  via the internet.  

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Scars follow a predictable course.

+1

From your photos, you certainly appear to be healing well. Most people it seems don't realize that scarring is a normal and fairly predictable process. Immediately after surgery, the incisions appear just like that - incisions. As time goes on and you build the scar tissue that holds the skin and tissue together, they will begin to appear elevated and pink or purple. This is all normal. The elevation is due to the amount of early scar tissue (collagen) and the color is due to the increased vascularity required by the body to build and remodel this scar. At about 6-8 weeks, you've built all the scar you need and the body switches gears to remodel the scar. Vascularity begins to dissipate and you notice the color begin to fade, usually at 3-6 months. The scar will flatten as it remodels and matures (which can take up to 2 years). Scar "treatments" are typically modalities used to hasten this process. These vary from simple lotions and massage to silicone sheeting, lasers, bleaching creams, etc. When scars are healing well, I usually advise nothing more than sunscreen, moisturizing lotion, and massage. It sounds as though you are in good hands with your surgeon and I would follow her instructions on scar therapy.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment after Tummy Tuck

+1

Looks like you are healing well. You may consider using a silicone gel product if OK with your surgeon. Google: GelZone Abdominal Wrap.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Scar Treatment

+1

I doubt you "need" scar treatment since you sound like you are doing quite well. But the creams created for scars will probably get you to the finish line a little faster. I find the patients that use these creams are doing very well.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Silicone sheeting

+1

Ask your surgeon if she would be amenable to Scarguard or silicone sheeting, I find it helps with scars.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Silicone gel reasonable to use to help maximize aesthetic outcome

+1

Scar creams such as those containing silicone can help maximize the positive aesthetic appearance of your scar. With almost no downside risk and relatively low cost, it makes sense to use a medical grade one.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Scar treatment post abdominoplasty

+1

You are healing very nicely. as the cost of scar gel is quite small, I would suggest using it, as the saying goes,

it couldn't hurt. I think that your "muffin tops" would do well with liposuction.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Scar after tummy tuck

+1

I agree that your results are very good, and you still have quite some recovery since your surgery was only 1-2 months ago.  In any case, there is no harm in starting a scar therapy.  However the results are very variable.  However, there is a chance for an improvement as well.  I would prefer some sort of silicone sheet treatment which has proven and documented results.  Try NewGel+.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon