Do I Need Scar Treatment at 5 Weeks Post Full Tummy Tuck (photo)

Well Yesterday I 5 week Mark of my full TT i went back to see my doctor she couldnt believe her eyes.She was very impressed with my scar & belly button@ just 5 weeks.Although i do have a muffin top she said she will extend my scar for me to give me a better & smaller waist line although alot on here say i need Lipo i will trust my doctor :) I have 2 say i do feel better everyday.She wants to make me the poster child for her office.Now she saids i dont need scar treatment cause im healing well? Is this true?

Scars take months not weeks to properly fade, especially on the tummy

+1

Yes, your scars are coming along nicely. It takes months not weeks for the scars to slowly and gradually fade.  Massage moisturizing lotion into them 3 times a day and avoid tanning or exposure to the sun.  At the 6-8 week mark is usually when normal scars look their worst and then start to gradually get better.  You appear to be on a normal track.  I hope this helps.

Patience and silicone gel helpful for scar healing

+1

Scars can take a long time to fade after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and yours looks like it is doing fine one month after surgery.  It will probably be at least six months before you start to see reduction in the pink color, and more likely a year or two before the scar really looks it's best.  I recommend that my patients use a topical silicone gel or silicone gel sheets daily (24/7) to speed the scar tissue maturation and prevent excess scar (keloid) formation.  Brands such as Kelocote, or NewGel or Cimeosil, and others can be purchased at your plastic surgeon's office or  via the internet.  

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Scars follow a predictable course.

+1

From your photos, you certainly appear to be healing well. Most people it seems don't realize that scarring is a normal and fairly predictable process. Immediately after surgery, the incisions appear just like that - incisions. As time goes on and you build the scar tissue that holds the skin and tissue together, they will begin to appear elevated and pink or purple. This is all normal. The elevation is due to the amount of early scar tissue (collagen) and the color is due to the increased vascularity required by the body to build and remodel this scar. At about 6-8 weeks, you've built all the scar you need and the body switches gears to remodel the scar. Vascularity begins to dissipate and you notice the color begin to fade, usually at 3-6 months. The scar will flatten as it remodels and matures (which can take up to 2 years). Scar "treatments" are typically modalities used to hasten this process. These vary from simple lotions and massage to silicone sheeting, lasers, bleaching creams, etc. When scars are healing well, I usually advise nothing more than sunscreen, moisturizing lotion, and massage. It sounds as though you are in good hands with your surgeon and I would follow her instructions on scar therapy.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment after Tummy Tuck

+1

Looks like you are healing well. You may consider using a silicone gel product if OK with your surgeon. Google: GelZone Abdominal Wrap.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

+1

I doubt you "need" scar treatment since you sound like you are doing quite well. But the creams created for scars will probably get you to the finish line a little faster. I find the patients that use these creams are doing very well.

Silicone sheeting

+1

Ask your surgeon if she would be amenable to Scarguard or silicone sheeting, I find it helps with scars.

Silicone gel reasonable to use to help maximize aesthetic outcome

+1

Scar creams such as those containing silicone can help maximize the positive aesthetic appearance of your scar. With almost no downside risk and relatively low cost, it makes sense to use a medical grade one.

Scar treatment post abdominoplasty

+1

You are healing very nicely. as the cost of scar gel is quite small, I would suggest using it, as the saying goes,

it couldn't hurt. I think that your "muffin tops" would do well with liposuction.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Scar after tummy tuck

+1

I agree that your results are very good, and you still have quite some recovery since your surgery was only 1-2 months ago.  In any case, there is no harm in starting a scar therapy.  However the results are very variable.  However, there is a chance for an improvement as well.  I would prefer some sort of silicone sheet treatment which has proven and documented results.  Try NewGel+.

Southport Plastic Surgeon