Can Scar Tissue Be Removed After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I had rinoplasty an year ago. Some scar tissue developed since the surgery has remained along the top of my nose where the humps been carved down, at the sides of my nose where its been narrowed, and at the tip. Is there anything that can be done to remove all the scar tissue? If so, the longer I wait will it be harder to remove?

Revisional Rhinoplasty

+1

One needs to wait at least one year after rhinoplasty to consider operative revision. Scarring of the nasal dorsum tip may recur, however, one can sculpt and reconstruct that underlying framework and one has an optimal chance of improving the long term result.

Nasal Scar Tissue Removal

+1

Yes, scar tissue can be removed from your nose. However, how much improvement can be achieved and what are the risks (nothing is for free, and I'm not talking about money)? There is no downside to waiting, but I recommend following the advice of your surgeon.

Surgery to improve scars: Scars generally improve with time; surgery will add additional scar and could make it worse.

+1

As Dr. Aldea has stated scar tissue generally "matures" and reorganizes with time, It tends to get thinner and better and rarely worse. Surgery can beused to remove scar tissue but it will be replaced with a new layer of scar tissue. In consultation with a qualified surgeon, you must weigh the beneiftis of surgical revisions. Some surgeons use steroid injections to accelerate softening or flattening of scars but this is not without complications.

Removal of Scar Tissue may generate Scar Tissue

+1

Young lady you appear to be quite a presence on RealSelf.   As Plastic surgeons were were taught by Sir. Harold Gillies, one of modern Plastic Surgery's early founders, that waiting and patience are qualities to be cultivated.

Scarring rarely gets worse with time and usually softens and gets better. Moreover, every operation generates scar tissue. Before removing scar tissue, you need to figure how much improvement, if any is to be expected from the operation.