Spitting Stitch - Do I Have An Infection?

My Scar Round my Nipple Has a Hole with a Plastic Stitch Coming from It Its Weeping and There is Bits of Blood Coming from It. im 2 and half months post surgery any help would be much appreciated i had the surgery done abroad so i cant just go see my surgeon iv posted pics also. thank you in advance im so scared of infection or necrosis etc.

Problem After Breast Augmentation Abroad

+3

I can be scary when you have a problem and feel like there is nobody to see that can help you. In your case, from the photos it seems that you are having a simple stitch reaction. This is sometimes called a stitch abcess or a spitting stitch. If the small piece of stitch in the open area is removed the wound will heal without any further treatment, This is not an infection.

The bigger point to be made is the importance of having your surgeon nearby for these type of questions. Today a lot of patients choose to go abroad to save a few dollars. The problem with that is just what you have experienced - no follow up care. In your case it is a simple problem that can easily be handled. That is, if you can find a doctor willing to help you. You will likely have to pay a consultation fee to have this cared for as well. It may cost a few dollars more to stay in this country, but you will have the support and care of your doctor throughout the entire process including healing. If you have more serious issues that can be VERY important. For you the surgery is done, and you will eventually heal fine. For others that might be reading this, remember, going abroad can save a little bit of money in the beginning and cost a LOT more in the end.

I host a radio show called "New Reflections". In a couple of weeks we will be doing a show on plastic surgery disasters including some patients that travelled abroad. I invite you to listen in. See the link below.

I hope this info helps!

Medical Tourism: problem with getting answers for open draining wound due to permanent versus absorbable stitch?

+2

This is one of the problems with medical tourism. It is difficult getting answers for open draining wound. First you need to contact your surgeon and fine out if this is due to permanent versus absorbable sutures?

Do I have an Infection After My Breast Augmentation?

+2

Based on the photographs, it looks like a suture abscess. This occurs when the suture causes local inflammation and irritation and comes through the skin before it dissolves (if it is a dissolvable suture). From the photograph it does not look like you have an infection in your breast. These suture abscesses heal on their own. I would recommend using triple antibiotic ointment and if it is draining, to cover it with a gauze to keep your clothes from getting stained.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Stitch spitting

+1

It is not uncommon to have "stitch spitting."  You have a stitch abscess.  It is a localized reaction to the stitch as it comes out of your skin.  I would put some topical antibiotics (neosporin, triple antibiotics) on the affected area.  It should clear up pretty soon.  If it doesn't, you can go see a plastic surgeon in your area.  She/he will be able to address that.  

Sugene Kim, MD

Spitting suture is very common.

+1

Thank you for your photos. It appears that you are having issues with a "spitting" stitch. The sutures which are underneath the skin are common absorbable. This means that through an inflammatory process, the suture will be dissolved over a period of weeks to months. In some instances, this inflammatory process to dissolve the suture causes the overlying skin to breakdown and the suture pops through. The suture itself can be clipped and this usually resolves the situation. I recommend making an appointment with a plastic surgeon in your area and they can help resolve this issue. Very rarely does this lead to a larger infection.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Spitting of Suture after Surgery

+1

What you have is very common. The absorbable suture under the skin occasionally causes a local reaction as it's being dissolved and may spit out.  If any redness, pain, or drainage persists after several days, see your plastic surgeon.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast infection

+1

This is not a breast infection.what you are experiencing is the spitting of sutures.This is not uncommon.the buried sutures work there way to the surface and open up the incision.Just put a little antibacterial ointment on it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Not a real infection

+1

You have a "spitting stitch" and the offending suture needs to be removed.  After the foreign substance (the suture) is removed, the wound will heal on it's own.  Really, any surgeon should be able to do this for you.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast Implants and infections

+1

From your photos it appears that you may have a small suture abscess. (A localized infection which often occurs at the area of an internal suture knot)  You should see your PS and have it examined and treated and necessary.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Looks like a minor wound opening due to the stiche abcess

+1

This is a minor issue and do not worry about it. The only concern is the scar after the wounds heals and you can apply Mederma or silicone gel to improve after it healed.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon