Can Saline Breast Implants Affect my Asthma?

I want to get saline breast implants, but am worried about it effecting my asthma. I know they are also encased in silicone shell and after reading horror stories it has me thinking twice. My asthma is moderate I take inhalers daily for it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Asthma and breast augmentation

+2

There is no evidence that implants can affect asthma. 

Consider gel implants instead of saline: they are softer, more natural, better tolerated in slender women, do not deflate, and are warranteed for life.  The cohesive gel is like jello, without a liquid component.

Asthma itself is usually not a problem in the operating room.  Most patients feel that their airways are wide open afterwards due to the effects of anesthesia (and sometimes due to bronchodilators administered by the anesthesiologist).

Saline breast implants will not cause asthma

+2

Horror stories abound, but facts being what they are, saline breast implants will have no affect on your asthma.

peterejohnsonmd

Respiratory diseases and Breast Implants

+2

Breast implants (Saline and Silicone) are safe and don't  effect respiratory disease including asthma.  Your fears are ill founded.  You may be subconsciously trying to find a reason to deny yourself benefits of breast augmentation.  There is no validity to your fears.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast implants and asthma

+2

Saline implants should not have any effect on your asthma. Your asthma treatment should be optimized prior to surgery in order to make your surgery as safe as possible. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon and your primary care doctor.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

No effect on asthma

+2

I do not believe that either silicone gel or saline implants will effect your asthma. This is based on 30 years of experience and 20 years of research. Certain medications and anesthesia might have an effect and I would recommend having a board certified plastic surgeon perform the surgery and a board certified anesthesiologist give the anesthesia.

William H. Gorman, MD

Saline breast implants and asthma

+2

Saline breast implants will not cause asthma or exacerbate the condition. The implants are inert and have not been shown to cause these types of problems.

Asthma

+2

there is no relationship between breast implants and asthma... neather silicone nor saline.  enjoy your augmentation

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Asthma

+2

There is no demonstrated relationships between breast implants and asthma. It will be important to have you asthma under control prior to the surgery, and I routinely have my asthma patients bring their inhalers to the surgery center as some inhalers are very helpful in keeping the airways relaxed during surgery.

It is almost impossible to avoid exposure to silicone in everyday life. Two in particular Dimethicone and Dimethylpolysiloxane are used in everything from cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners and even as a food additive. Silicone is even used for the valves in inhaler spacers. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants should have no effect on your asthma

+2

There is no know correlation or causal evidence of any relationship between breast implants, either saline or silicone, and your asthma.  Your asthma should be under good control before you contemplate having breast implants.

James Tang, MD

Saline Implants have no known adverse effects on asthma

+2

There is no scientific evidence that saline, (or silicone) implants adversely affects anyone with asthma.  Both saline and silicone breast implants have undergone extensive review by the FDA.  The devices have been proven to be safe and to my knowledge there has never been any problems from the implants in asthmatic patients.

Personally, I have performed breast augmentation on several patients with mild asthma.  All these patients did, and continue to do well.

Asthma is a medical disease and should be carefully monitored by both you and your medical doctor.  This is true for anyone with or without implants.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon