What Can You Do to the Stitches Not Dissolved After Breast Implants

removal 8 wks out already. Most of stitches are gone except for the end part. It puffs up like a pimple, in purple color and had pus in it. My doctor gave me bactricin ointment to put on twice a day and said this was the knot of the stitches he made. So what can I do to speed things up to recover faster because it is very uncomfortable and itchy where the wound is. What kind of signs should I look for to avoid future infection? Please advise. Thank you so much.

Spitting suture after breast augmentation

+1

Most of the dissolvable sutures used will go away at about 6 weeks.  Sometimes they do not and the body will try and spit these out to get rid of them.  They will usually work their way to the surface.  Please let your plastic surgeon take these out in the office.  Please don't go digging for them at home.

Sutures after breast augmentation

+1

Your surgeon should be able to easily remove these with or without local anesthesia in the office.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Dissolveing stitches

+1

it will probably get better by itself.  but if you want go and have some local anesthetic and have it removed.  not a big deal.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Suture Removal

+1

In most cases, sutures will dissolve.  However, if you are 8 weeks after surgery and the sutures have not dissolved and are causing issues, then it may be best for your surgeon to remove the exposed sutures as a minor procedure in the office under local anesthesia.  However without knowing the specifics of your case, seeing before and after pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible for us to give you specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Dissovling sutures don't after augmentation

+1

The end-knots can be quite stubborn but do not usually result in frank infection.  Try warm compresses several times a day: this will increase blood supply to the area to speed things up.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Non-Disolving suture

+1

If the antibacterial cream dies not help to get rid of the infection from a suture that did not disolve, your surgeon can remove the suture with local anesthesia.

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Stitches exposed after Breast Implants

+1

If you have exposed stitches that have pus around them, the stitches should be removed.  This is probably the only way to get rid of this small, localized infection.  i would recommend that you go see your Plastic Surgeon and ask him/her to remove the knots.  

This is often called a "spitting suture."  It usually involves the knot since there is more suture material that has to be absorbed, and the knots are closer to the skin surface.  Depending on what type of suture material was used, it could take anywhere from several weeks to a year to reabsorb.  Good Luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD