Sagging Breasts Age 19. Lift? Teardrop Implants? (photo)

I'm 19 years old and have always had large breasts at the age of 13 I wore a size 34G. As of recently lost around 40 pounds due to healthy eating and exercise. I have always had an issue with sagging but even more so now that I've dropped down to a 34DD. Although I'm a 34DD my breasts aren't full and are actually very small. I have a lot of excess stretched skin and not a lot of mass in my breasts. I want to have a lift but also want to obtain a look of perfection with a teardrop implant. HELP

Breast lift and implants for sagging breasts

Thank you for your question and photograph.  A breast lift with a minor breast reduction will lift and position your breast to a more natural and pleasing appearance.  Because of the weight you have lost you most likely will also need an implant to give you the full firm look that you want after your breast lift.

Please read the link below.  Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in breast lift surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Breast lift

Hi Victoria,

Congratulations on the weight lost.  You clearly would benefit from undergoing a breast lift with implants. Although you are currently a DD, I would still recommend using an implant.  The use of an implant would serve to give you a better shape and more upper pole fullness.  It will not be used to increase your breast volume.  There are some surgeons that prefer to perform this surgery in two stages, I disagree.  I believe this surgery can be performed quite safely and effectively in one stage.  The difference in opinion stems from the type of lift these surgeons perform.  There are some techniques that make it unsafe to combine these procedures and some techniques allow for the combined performance.

In your case, I find no advantage in using a tear drop implants.  There are certain cases where their use is appropriate, but not with you.  As to the type of lift you should undergo, it should be performed with very little skin tension. These lifts relay on the blood supply coming from above.  In this way, the bottom part of the breast tissue can be used to support the lift.  Although many of these lifts can be performed without the horizontal incision, your breasts may require some horizontal component given your size and shape.

Good luck,

Ary Krau MD FACS

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Sagging Breasts Age 19. Lift?

Lift, yes. Implants, ??

A lift would clearly have benefits. You would probably need a full anchor pattern lift, and even those of us who commonly combine lifts and augmentations in one setting would think twice about the added risks in your situation.

I would start with a lift alone, and then if you really think you want to be larger, discuss it in six months with your surgeon, reviewing all the pros and cons. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

DD cup and Needs Lift and Implant

If you already are a DD, I would hesitate to recommend an implant as that will only make you larger, which may have long term adverse health consequences.  To create breasts that are higher and have more fullness, a breast lift can be performed.  The breast lift can produce very nice shapely breasts.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lift and implants

Thank you for the question and photos. I think you are a good candidate for lifting and augmentation with a shaped implant to reliably give you the upper breast projection that you desire. A small amount of breast may be removed for shaping purposes as well. I think than the upper breast improvement with shaped implants is dramatic and natural appearing. Discuss your options with a surgeon experienced with the newer shaped silicone gel implants.
Good luck.

Loose skin usually means breast lift

When the breast skin has been stretched and the nipple sits too low, then a breast lift procedure is necessary.  This will consist of removing excess skin under the breast and repositioning the nipple to a higher location on the chest wall.  There are varying degrees of the lift procedure, the scar can be just around the areola, a lollipop scar or an anchor scar.  The length of the scar depends on the amount of loose skin present.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs this procedure frequently.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Breasts - Lift? Teardrop Implants?

If one has larger breasts and significant sagging, a breast lift is indicated. If the degree of sagging is enough, an anchor type of lift works best. Unfortunately, lifting techniques alone do not give the superior fullness that some desire. For that reason, in some individuals an implant is placed.Most often, round implants are used as they provide better fullness in the superior aspect of the breast than a tear drop type of implant. Do remember that teardrop type of implants are firmer than comparable round type. Sometimes in the setting of a breast lift, you will be able to detect the firmness of that type of implant within your breast as your skin may be looser and softer than the implant

Breast Lift with Tear Drop Implant

First of all don’t feel like you are alone. There are many young women that have larger breasts that have fallen especially after weight loss. Number one the breast lift is going to be the most important part of your breast surgery, that is what is going to improve the shape of your breast. The implant whether it is teardrop or round will only be used to fill the breast and give you more upper pole fullness. In a patient that already has breast tissue such as you the teardrop implant is going to make less of a difference than in a patient that is very thin with no breast tissue. Your natural breast tissue is going to give you a soft natural appearance to your breast.

Lift or implants?

You should not add implants to your lift.  In fact, your lift would look better if you decreased the size slightly at the same time.  Your breasts will likely stay perky longer without the implants.

David Stoker, MD

Sagging breasts

Looking at your photos, I would suggest a breast augmentation with saline implants with lift, or possibly small reduction with lift and augmentation. Using an implant and placing it behind the chest muscle will give you more fullness at the top. I would suggest not choosing a large implant, because your skin will continue to sag with a heavy implant over time.  Remember, pregnancy and breast feeding may also have a significant change on your breasts.  I would suggest meeting with a plastic surgeon to discuss your desires and options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon