Will a Breast Lift Make my Breasts Look Smaller, or Larger?

Hi there, Almost two years ago after 3 back to back pregnancies i had my 275cc saline implants replaced with 375cc HP silicone. At the time I was afraid of the anchor scar so I did a donut lift instead. I'm now considering going back for the lift but I'm concerned my breasts will end up looking smaller. Im a 34DD in VS brand bras...Will I need a larger implant with the lift to keep my large size? Thank you:)

Breast lift?

+2

It's really impossible to tell without seeing a photo. Breast lift surgery doesn't really reduce the size of your breasts so you shouldn't really get much smaller. 

Breast lift procedures

+2

Breast lift procedurs do not usualy remove alot of breast tissue. It is mostly skin and small amounts of breast tissue to contour the breasts.

Breast size following a breast lift

+2

Breast lift surgery usually involves removal of excess skin only.  The procedure usually does not reduce subcutaneous fat or breast tissue.  However the reduced skin bra created in a breast lift may compact the breast tissue somewhat making the overall breast appear slightly smaller.  That said, the breast lift will help make the upper pole of the breast fuller.  If you are presently a DD cup I don't believe you will need to have to exchange your present implants for larger ones to have a nice result.  Best of luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Should Not Decrease Actual Size,but Bra Size may change

+2

Hi there-

There is no reason that a well-done breast lift would actually reduce the amount of breast/implant volume you have enough for you to feel they look smaller (in fact most women feel they look a tad larger once the tissue is re-distributed).

On the other hand, because the breast mound is now distributed over a smaller area, some women do feel more comfortable in a different bra size than the ones they used to wear.

I hope that helps you- good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Lift and Size

+2

With breast lifts, some skin is removed and the contour of the breast reshaped to achieve the lift.  While the volume of the breast (minus the small weight of the skin removed) will be essentially the same, the breast may appear slightly smaller.  If you are looking to maintain the exact same size, then you may want to consider getter one size larger on your implants at the same time as your lift.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast lift should make the breast seem larger

+2

The lift will take a lax breast and reduce and shape the skin envelope such that the available breast tissue is now contained in a smaller package. As the breast tissue is recruited and pulled into shape, much like pulling all the tissue into a bra cup, the breast will appear larger.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast lift and breast size

+2

Breast lifts generally make the breast look better in form but there may be a slight decrease in size. However in your case because most of your breast is implant, these really do not compress so you will still be the same size. Do not go bigger because the recurrence of drooping will increase.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after a lift

+2
should be virtually no change in volume after your lift operation. only a very small amount of skin is removed. it may actually looks a little fuller with no clothes on but in a bra it should be the same.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Will I Need A Bigger Implant If I Get A Breast Lift?

+2

Dear Rosebud123,

It is difficult to offer you specific advice without photographs. Generally speaking, a full Wise pattern mastopexy, will make the breasts appear a little bit smaller. This however, depends on how much skin needs to be removed. Sometimes, performing a lift on a previously augmented breast may require using a smaller implant in order to prevent too much tension on the skin flaps. The bottom line is that you will need to see your surgeon and have them discuss all the scenarios with you.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size Change After Breast Lift

+2

In general, a breast lift procedure involves removal of excess skin and some fat beneath the removed excess skin. In most patients a breast lift does not change the breast size significantly but there can be exceptions to the rule. Schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to determine your options.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon