Silicone Vs Saline?

I am having a breast lift with change of implants on sept 21. I am having a hard time deciding between silicone or saline implants. I currently have saline. This is the issue.... I do NOT want a natural looking breast. I was a round, high, firm looking breast. I like the look of a " fake" breast. The saline never fully gave me that look. Will silicone? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of any doctor. I like when the breasts are tight looking and appear to be implants. Thank you

Saline or Silicone Breasts Implants for "Round, High, Firm" Breasts?

+3

Thank you for the question. As you can imagine, is not possible to provide you with precise advice without direct examination and the full communication of your goals. Below, I will summarize some of the pros/cons of saline versus silicone breast implants for your information. Before I do that, however I find that many patients who are looking for “round, high, firm looking breast” benefit from the use of saline breast implants ( sometimes overfilled).  I find that, on the other hand silicone breast implants tend to provide a more “natural” feel and look.

Of course, there are many more variables involved in achieving the breast look/feel that you are trying to achieve; for example, the position of the breast implant pockets on the chest wall will be important in determining where the breast implants "sit". Much of what will be necessary  to achieve your goals will depend on your specific anatomy and goals. That is why the  physical examination and a full communication of your goals (I prefer the use of goal pictures) is critical.

Some general words regarding the use of saline versus silicone breast implants may be helpful to you:

The type of implant used may Influence the final outcome  of the procedure, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.

On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
 Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.

Saline or gel for the unnatural look

+2

In general, if you desire the look as you describe, saline implants are usually better for producing that look.  I equate gel implants with a more natural look.  Implant styles such as high profile implants can certainly exaggerate the projection, provided your body can handle the increased volume to give you the base diameter you desire and need.  The emerging highly cohesive gel implants could also help creating the fake look.  You should review this more with your surgeon and allow her/him to show you the differences with how the implants change when help upright

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant choice

+2

Since you are looking for that "fake" implanted look, then you probably should consider a high profile implant.  In addition, whether or not the look that you want can be achieved will also depend on your anatomy.  It sounds like you want that high riding look.  But if your breasts sit lower on your chest or you have stretched out skin, this may be difficult or nearly impossible to achieve.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about your concerns.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Saline v. silicone

+2
In terms of producing a breast as you have described, I personally think that the profile of the implant will be more important than the implant material. Discuss your desired shape with your plastic surgeon so you are both on the same page.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Silicone vs Saline

+1
In terms of how they look and feel, silicone implants are considered to be a more natural-looking option compared to saline implants. Many women believe that silicone implants offer a much softer feel and look more like natural breasts, and are less likely to produce rippling, while saline implants tend to feel hard. Saline implants also are more likely to appear wrinkled or rippled, especially among women who have very little breast tissue of their own. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Breast shape is not determined by whether implants are silicone or saline.

+1

Hi.

The "fake" look you like (and so do many women) is achieved by HOW the operation is done. You need large, high profile implants (silicone or saline) placed high on your chest.  Your existing implant pockets will need to be modified.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Silicone vs. saline for fake look...

+1

I practice in Miami, where a lot of women prefer the "fake" look. It has more to do with implant size (larger is more fake); style (high-profile is more projecting) and surgical position, (keeping the submuscular pocket higher) -----than whether the implant is silicone or saline. Personally, I prefer silicone. It lasts longer and feels great.

hope this helps,

Dr. Michael in Miami

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Appearence difference between silicone and saline implants is none. They differ in effect.

+1

In appearence silicone and saline implants look identical.  Only difference between them is difference of feel.  Silicone gel implants feel more natural and have less ripples.  Result from breast augmentation depends greatly on existing breasts of patients and everything is not always possible in everyone.

A good plastic surgeon can navigate you through possibilities of achievable results with varying implant profiles and their placements.  Result that you are seeking may or may not be achievable in your particular case.  Only your doctor can guide you about your expectations.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tight appearing implants - type of implant does not matter.

+1

You can have tight, "fake" appearing implants with either saline or silicone. It depends more on the size of the implant, the shape (projection) of the implant, and the pocket space. Saline can be overfilled in order to make them very firm and thus may be a better option for you.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs. Silicone - Which One Gives the Less Natural, More Augmented Look?

+1

For the rounder, higher, more augmented look, slight overfilled saline implants fit the bill.  One of the reasons I don't like saline implants is because they do give a phony look.  The downside of saline implants is they tend to ripple and have a greater chance of deflation.  All that being said, if you are looking for round, high, less natural, more surgically done look, then saline implants are the implants for you. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon