Is It Safe to Undergo a Rib Cartilage Rhinoplasty if I Have Had Pneumothorax Once Before?

I am 22yr old Asian male and I had spontaneous pneumothorax once on my right lung when I was 17 and had to undergo a pleurodesis in order to be treated. Currently I want to have rhinoplasty to heighten the bridge using rib cartilage. As pneumothorax is one of the risks involved in harvesting rib cartilage, will a history of pneumothorax create an increased risk of this occurring? Would it be okay to harvest from the left chest instead?

Rib Graft

+4

I would recommend other graft materials such as your ear cartilage (conchal graft). It would be advisable to have a chest X-ray prior to your surgery and your surgeon should consult a thoracic surgeon to ascertain the risk of a second pneumothorax. Best to leave your ribs and opt for another site or an alloplastic graft material.

Australia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage harvest and previous pneumothorax

+1

A previous pheumothorax should not put you at any further risk for developing another one.  Certaily harvesting of a rib can cuase a pneumothorax but it is rare.

Rib Grfts and Pneumothorax

+1

There is probably no real connection between your prior spontaneous pneumothorax and one caused by harvesting a rig graft. As long as a puncture is recognized the danger is low. You might want to consider other methods of dorsal augmentation, such as diced donor cartilage wrapped in fascia. This has been a successful alternative method for raising the nasal bridge. Not every patient needs a rib graft.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A pneumothorax is rare during rib graft harvest regardless of whether you've had prior spontaneous pneumothorax. With that said, pneumothorax resulting from rib graft harvest is very uncommon but easily and immediately detectable and quickly remedied. I would discuss this with your surgeon AND your anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Make sure you communicate your history clearly and seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. With your history, I would highly recommend that you seek out an accredited ASC with MD anesthesiologists on the slim possibility that you were to develop another pneumothorax. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prior Pneumothorax and Future Rib Graft Rhinoplasty

+1

I see no potential connection between your prior spontaneous pneumothorax and an increased risk of a pneumothorax from a rib graft harvest for a rhinoplasty. That issue aside, when harvesting a rib graft from the lower end of the subcostal margin, the apices of the lung are well away from the harvest site so the risk is negligible anyway. But just to be extra cautious, make the harvest from the opposite side of the prior pneumothorax.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Pneumothorax with rib grafting

+1

Any time you do a rib graft, you can get a pneumothorax.  However, by definition, a pleurodesis fuses the two leaves of the pleura that might form a pneumothorax, thus protecting you from another.  Although no guarantee, my bet is that it would be way safer to harvest from the right.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Rhinoplasty and rib cartilage harvest

+1

One of the risks of rib harvest is a pneumothorax. Since you have had a previous one, I personally would harvest from the opposite side to avoid any further risks to that particular lung. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib Graft after Pneumothorax

+1

Your previous history of a pneumothorax will not increase the risks of harvesting a rib graft. You can harvest from either side of your chest.

Rib graft after pneumothorax

+1
Your risk is low of rib grafting causing another pneumothorax. The general anesthesia could be a factor if you have pulmonary blebs. An anesthetist should be made aware of your history. You could also consider alternatives to rib including ear cartilage, septal grafts and gortex implants

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty with Rib Cartilage

+1

If you have had a spontaneous pneumothorax in the past, I would definitely relate this to your surgeon. While this may not affect another pneumothorax, certain precautions can be undertaken.  Also you may want to discuss using other methods of Asian rhinoplasty augmentation such as diced cartilage in fascia from your ear, for example.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD