How Does Blowing Your Nose Affect Rhinoplasty?

How does nose blowing affect rhinoplasty? Would it have some affect on the way the shape will turn out? I'm 2 weeks post-op, and blew it a few times- not hard though. The first time I blew it was, I think 9th or 10 day post-op. Now that I have been reading answers on this site I am worried I have damaged my nose and have affected my results in a bad way, and I mean by the way it will initially take its final shape.

Post operative care of your nose

+3

Its is unlikely that you would have changed the shape of your nose by blowing it.  The main reason why surgeons advise against nose blowing is to avoid nasal bleeding.  If you hold the tissue in between your nostrils and tug on it whilst your nose is healing (first 6 weeks) you could potentially jeopardise the healing.  Best thing is to wash your nose with a saline solution at room temperature.  Hope this helps.

Australia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing nose after rhinoplasty

+2

It really shouldn't make a huge difference. The reason we advise avoiding blowing the nose for about a week is to reduce the risk of developing a nose bleed. Otherwise, it should not have any negative impact.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

How does blowing your nose affect rhinoplasty?

+1

It is best to refrain from blowing the nose hard following rhinoplasty. In general, refraining from forcefully blowing the nose can prevent issues such as bleeding and swelling from taking place. You are not in danger of doing damage to the nose. I would recommend following up with your surgeon in regard to their guidelines. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

How does blowing the nose affect rhinoplasty?

+1

In general, you will want to avoid the following right after rhinoplasty surgery:

1) Overexertion
2) Excessively rubbing or picking at the nose
3) Blowing the nose forcefully

From what it sounds like, you did not overdo it with the nose blowing. In general, we recommend you avoid blowing the nose hard because this may cause the nose to bleed. In addition, you may increase your swelling. It will not affect the structure of your nose. I wouldn't worry about whether or not you did any damage. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon for piece of mind, as they will be able to provide you with advice. In addition, they may have specific guidelines they want you to follow. I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing Your Nose After Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

You do want to be careful early on but it is unlikely that you will harm things by blowing gently. When I had my surgery I sneezed a few times and it was all fine. Use good saline nasal spray for a while. It will keep your airway moist.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Blowing your nose after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Blowing your nose in a careful and gentle fashion is permissible after most rhinoplasty surgerys once any packing that may have been placed was removed. The most common problem that may arise from nose blowing after rhinoplasty surgery is postoperative bleeding. Unless you are vigorous or wipe too hard, it is unlikely that any longterm damage will be done. You should definitely discuss this with your surgeon though, because every rhinoplasty is slightly different and there may be cause for concern depending on the fragility of the repair. 

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Blowing nose after rhinoplasty

+1

I usually have patients wait 3 weeks before blowing their nose. I allow them to gengtly use q-tips to clean nose after the nasal splint is removed.

Blowing Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

The main risk associated with blowing the nose within the first 2 weeks after rhinoplasty would be bleeding.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sneezing and nose blowing after rhinoplasty

+1

Typically, there should be no harm in blowing your nose or sneezing after a rhinoplasty procedure unless you rub your nose very hard. The biggest risk is bleeding which could be an issue but after two weeks even this is unlikely.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon