How Big Is The Scar On My Chest After Rib Graft Revision Rhinoplasty?

HI Doctors I need a revision (Rib Graft ) rhinoplasty after a previous one had left me without a bridge ... My only concern is the scar on my chest , how big is the scar and can it be treated ? also how much dose it cost and the most important question ...how do I find a rhinoplasty expert who have experience using rib and also performing revision rhinoplasty ... I live in Los Angeles if you have any suggestion please let me know .I need a good DOCTOR ...thank you

Rib graft and revision rhinoplasty

+1

The scar left after harvesting rib cartilage is minimal. The cost of a revision rhinoplasty can range from $12,000 - $20,000 depending on the individual circumstances of the patient. When looking for board certified revision rhinoplasty specialists in the area, take a look at their before and after photos for revision cases. It may state whether rib cartilage was used. This can give you an idea of how frequently the surgeon uses the technique. In general, when looking for a revision rhinoplasty specialist, you will want to take the following into consideration: 1) They have many before and after photos so you can get an idea of the surgeon's results. 2) Great patient testimonials. 3) Fantastic credentials and a good amount of experience. Please feel free to ask any additional questions. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear you will need a revision rhinoplasty.  While it's not clear what needs to be done in your revision (other than building a bridge), there may be other options for cartilage other than rib.  For example, if dorsal augmentation is needed, ear cartilage may be an option.  If you do need rib cartilage, the incision is approximately 2 inches and special post-operative treatment can help minimize scarring.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rib Graft for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Rib grafting is an option for nasal reconstruction if you have a  cartilage depleted nose and ears. Always use nose and ear cartilage first before obtaining a rib. The scar for a rib harvest will be approx 3 inches long. 

Rib Harvest Scar

+1

The scar can be hidden in the inframammary fold and it is a few cm long.  You may or may not need rib graft for your particular problem.  You should be examined by to determine if this is your best option.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rb Cartilage Graft for Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The rib graft harvest is done on the bottom end of the rib cage known as the subcostal area. Depending upon the amount of rib graft needed and how heavy or thin you are, the size of the incision could be anywhere from 3 to 4.5 cms long along the subcostal margin. The number of plastic surgeons that perform rhinoplasty with rib grafts is smaller than the overall number of plastic surgeons who perform rhinoplasty in general. A cost estimate is impossible to give based on your description alone. The best way to get a more accurate cost number is to send some photos to plastic surgeons and describe your needs. Seeing your nose is more helpful that just describing it.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Scar from rib cartilage harvesting

+1

The scar from a rib cartilage harvest for rhinoplasty is usually only a few centimeters long.  In a femal it can often be hidden under the breast.

Revision rhinoplasty without rib graft.

+1

The scar is about 2 inches and painful and unless your entire bridge is gone you do NOT need it. Surgeons charge more when doing a rib graft. For 35 years I have been able to make a new bridge with septal and/or ear cartilage