Is It Safe to Have Fat Transfer if I'm Trying to Get Pregnant?

I want to know if anaesthesia / lipo from the procedure wud effect me if I'm trying to get pregnant. And I am still in mid cycle, so I wouldn't know if pregnancy has taken place yet until I miss my period in 2weeks. Would it be safe if I have the procedure done now? And wud the procedure effect my ability to breast milk later on?

Make certain you are not pregnant

As long as you are not pregnant, it is safe to have the procedure done.  Wait until you have your period or have a serum pregnancy test done.

Toronto Dermatologist

1849 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4S 1Y2

Fat Transfer Before Pregnancy

Hello. As long as you are not pregnant at the time of the surgery, it will be safe. A negative result on a pregnancy test will be sufficient because they are very sensitive. The procedure should not impact your ability to breast feed. It is possible that a minor revision would be needed after the bodily changes associated with pregnancy, but many times the patient will not need any revision.

Jaime Perez, MD
Fat Transplantation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

307 South MacDill Ave
Tampa, FL 33609

Unlikely to cause a problem...but

Honestly, it is unlikely to cause a problem. However, it is something that most surgeons will steer clear of in cases of elective surgery.

Birth defects can occur at anytime, and should one occur, god forbid, you will always wonder whether this procedure contributed to its development.

Better to be safe than sorry. If you plan on surgery, wait till you have your period, then have the procedure and try for pregnancy afterwards.

Just one surgeons opinion.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004