OK for RN to Travel to Peoples Homes to Administer Botox?

I am an RN in the state of Tx, and I was wondering if I would be able to (under a physicians authority) travel to peoples homes to administer botox?

Botox treatment in people's homes

+1

I do not think it is good medical practice to provide treatment in a private home.  I think it is best done in a medical setting.

Botox injection in people's homes probably not illegal, but improper

+1

Hi Kimmie,

Although we do not know the regulations in Texas specifically, it's probably not illegal to do what you are suggesting. But the difference between illegal and questionable or improper is the key here. Dr. Rand makes a good point in that medical facilities are set up so that in the event that an unexpected side effect occurs, you have the opportunity to address them effectively.

Several years ago, we had a patient experience cardiac arrhythmia during a laser procedure. Because our offices are located immediately adjacent to the hospital, we were able to transfer the patient directly to the hospital for treatment. It was learned subsequently that he needed heart bypass surgery and was in surgery within 3 days. If we had been performing this procedure at home, it may not have been the same result.

We'd stick to injecting patients in a proper medical office and wonder why your supervising physician would want to take on this risk. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Very Questionable Practice

+1

While there certainly is a long history of home health care given by nurses, the like the motivation may for other reasons than making people better. I can not really see an advantage for the patient. If this is acceptable, then where does one draw the line...are fillers allowed, then portable lasers?

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

I wouldn't do this

+1

It isn't wise to do elective medical procedures in somebody's home.  In the off chance anything happened, you would be exposed to serious liability that just isn't worth taking onto yourself.  Hopefully the era of "Botox parties" has gone by.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Check with local medical board

+1

It depends on the local medical rules. I personally do not think that it is proper thing to do. The medical and legal issues involved. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon