How Long After a Mommy Makeover Before I Can Have Sex?

Considering the pain and physical changes associated with a mommy makeover, how long is the recovery time before sexual relations can be comfortably resumed with my husband?

When can my HUSBAND have sex with me after my "mommy makeover" is usually the question!

+6

Let's assume both you and you partner are equally interested in resuming normal sexual relations after surgery. Trust me, this is not always the case, as some couples with unequal interest are hoping for different answers! I usually tell patients that the best answer is when you are both ready, but providing proper care is taken to not harm her results or end up needing re-operation for bleeding, which is the usual result of too-soon sex or any vigorous activity.

If a woman finds it impossible to lay on her chest after breast surgery because her chest is still too uncomfortable, then a partner should not lay on her chest. If moving the implants to keep the surgical pocket healing properly is still uncomfortable, then vigorous breast manipulation during sex is just not good. But this applies not just to sex--tackle football, pole vaulting, and trapeze sex are all "out" for at least a month or so after breast surgery, and at least 6 weeks after tummy tuck. This list would also include kickboxing, skydiving, and double black diamond skiing. You get the idea!

Basically, how is more important than when. If a woman wants a "no sex for 3 months after surgery" recommendation, perhaps there are other issues at play here, as this is just not surgically necessary. If a partner asks for sex immediately after surgery, perhaps it's just to make the swollen, bruised, and uncomfortable partner feel desired and pretty--but please don't expect the patient to really follow through. Give her a chance to heal and feel good so you BOTH enjoy getting together. Start gently; be kind; be understanding. Remember that after successful cosmetic surgery, the patient feels better about herself, feels and is prettier, and is happy to have repaired what she once had before pregnancy and breast feeding. This usually results in better and more frequent sexual relations when all is said and done. Cheers!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sexual activity after a Mommy Makeover

+5

I would wait at least 2-3 weeks, but make sure you get clearance in person from your plastic surgeon before embarking on exercise such as sexual activity.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Resuming sex after tummy tuck and breast surgery

+5

I tell patients to wait at least 3 weeks. After that, it's whenever they are BOTH comfortable. Their partner must be gentle, and must refrain from kissing / licking / etc. any incisions. Avoid positions that put a lot of strain on the incisions.

Hope that helps!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Resuming Sexual Relations AFTER Tummy Tuck and Mommy MakeOver

+4

Regarding: "How Long After a Mommy Makeover Before I Can Have Sex?
Considering the pain and physical changes associated with a mommy makeover, how long is the recovery time before sexual relations can be comfortably resumed with my husband
?"

Great question. In my practice it is usually preceded by the line " Doctor (pause), MY husband asked me to ask you..."

There is NOTHING wrong with resuming sexual relations when YOU FEEL YOU ARE READY. Properly done, without putting undue pressure or tension on the fresh incisions / scars you are not going to risk undoing anything.  The amount of exertion required will obviously depend on the type of sex you engage in but with conventional, non "adventurous" sex the  "waiting" period can be anywhere from 3 weeks to a few months depending on the woman. (I once had a non-assuming slightly heavy woman gleefully share with me that she resumed sexual relations with her husband within 2 weeks of her surgery while still having drains. I would probably describe such timing as a bit premature and ambitious).

You will know when it is right and if in doubt, drag your husband to the Plastic surgeon's office and have him hear "the speech" himself.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Sex After Your Mommy Makeover

+3

The recovery time following a Mommy Makeover can vary depending on the degree of surgery that was performed to the abdomen. If the patient had largely a skin reduction of her abdomen, then gentle sexual relations could comfortably be resumed at four to six weeks. If a patient had significant muscle tightening and especially if a hernia repair was part of the procedure, than the recovery period is longer and sexual relations may need to be deferred for up to 8 weeks. It is only at 8 weeks that full tissue strength is regained in surgical repairs and incisions. It's important to review the exact nature of your surgery with your surgeon before resuming sexual relations.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Physical and sexual activity post tummy tuck surgery

+3

Depending on the severity and complexity of the case, strenuous and sexual activity should be postponed for about 4-6 weeks to avoid complications in healing and recovery. Patients may differ in recovery time and may return to physical activities sooner. I would recommend consulting your plastic surgeon prior to any rigorous exercises. However, your body will let you know what you are or are not capable of doing within a couple weeks of resting and taking it easy. Rememeber you have a lot of healing to do, especially after an invasive procedure such as a tummy tuck. Hope this was helpful. Take care!

Sexual activity after surgery

+3

Sexual realtions probably can begin within about 3-6 weeks after surgery.  For instance, my patients limit aerobics for 3-4 weeks and then can go back to vigoous exercise by 6-8 weeks.  So it really depends what you plan on doing?

Yes, you can go back to sex!

+3

I feel that a patient should wait until they feel comfortable with it. I think you should at least wait three weeks.

William Aiello, MD

Resuming activities after Mommy Makeover

+3

The exact timing of your recovery depends on a number of factors, including the exact procedures you are having performed, and you should probably wait at least 3 or more weeks before resuming sexual activities. Always make sure your plastic surgeon has cleared you for any increase in physical activity.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Mommy Makeover

+2

A Mommy Makeover consists of several procedures involving the abdomen, breasts, arms or the body. Since you have not made it clear regarding which procedures you under went in your question, I can only give you generalized answers.

At 6-8 weeks it is generally safe to have intimate relations with your spouse, provided you do not feel pain, discomfort or pulling sensation in your abdomen. Change of position to the side is something to consider until you feel quite normal. I would avoid pressure on your operated breasts such as what you may experience during intimate contacts;

• do not allow your implants to be pushed outward for at least 8 weeks.
  • avoid lying on your stomach for 8 weeks following breast lift or implant surgery.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)