How Can You Get Rid of the "Waddle" Under Your Chin Without Some Type of Surgery?

Waddle Neck Removal Without Surgery

+1

The turkey gobbler neck is created by loose skin, some fat, and muscle laxity, and, though the body fat can be reduced to none, the other two components remain.  These two components can only be addressed with a neck lift.

Surgery needed to get rid of waddle under the chin

+1

The waddle underneath the chin has 3 components that all must be addressed depending upon the patient’s age.  These are skin, muscle, and fat.  Fat is removed with liposuction.  If there is excess muscle and laxity in cords, this is addressed through a platysmaplasty with or without a neck lift.  Any excess skin is addressed through a facelift procedure.

Laser-assisted liposuction (Smartlipo) can help with a "waddle"

+1

Patients are often interested in "non-surgical" correction of a problem.  There are really no good "non-surgical" options for correction of excess skin under the chin.  Sometimes patients say they are looking for a "non-surgical" answer but they are really looking for something that can be done outside of the operating room.  If that is the case for you then Smartlipo or laser-assisted liposuction may be a useful procedure for you.  This technique allows for improvement of the submental or chin region by tightening the neck skin and removing fat.  It isn't the right procedure for everyone and sometimes a neck lift is the only answer for correction of the problem.  The nice thing with neck lifts is that it is possible to do the procedure in the office under local anesthesia in some patients.  The best thing to do is to meet with a local board-certified plastic surgeon and learn from them what is best for you.  Good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Only some type of neck lift will clean up a double chin.

+1

Hi.

Maybe you only need liposuction.  But for sure you need some surgical procedure.  Beware of gimmicks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Is there a way to improve the "waddle" under the chin without surgery?

+1

This is something that is best addressed with surgery, as there are really no effective non-surgical treatments for improving a "waddle" under the chin. Photos would really be necessary to give you the best advice, but I can make some recommendations on treatments that can improve the area. Depending on the age of the patient and elasticity of the skin, submental/jowl liposuction yields a great result. Depending on the patient's needs, the best overall result would be from a necklift, (with liposuction of the neck if necessary), and platysmaplasty, removing skin around the ears if needed. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified surgeon who uses computer imaging software. He/she can morph your photo, and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. Thank you, and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Getting rid of a Turkey neck

+1

Without an examination, it would be hard to determine which procedure is best for you.  Also, age plays a part in this.  As we get older our skin doesn't bounce back after liposuction of the neck.  You may need a face/neck lift.  Discuss this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what is best for you.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

How can I get rid of my turkey neck?

+1

The waddle under the chin is usually caused by excess fat, sagging muscle, loose skin, or a combination of these. If the waddle under the chin is just excess fat, then lipocontouring of the neck can create very nice, natural improvement in the neck and jawline. If there is loose skin and platysma muscle you would likely benefit from a minimum of a neck lift and possibly a facelift. Unfortunately, there are very few non-surgical solutions for this problem. I would get a comprehensive evaluation by a qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeon who can provide you with different options.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Getting rid of the "Waddle" under the chin

+1

If it is just fat causing the waddle under the chin, then liposuction does great for that for roughly $2500. If it is a little loose skin then a platysmaplasty with lipo procedure for $4500 is the answer and if it is a lot of loose skin then a lower face/neck lift for $8500 takes care of it easily. All these procedures are done under local anesthesia and make a dramatic improvement and are fairly easy to undergo. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Nonsurgical improvement of Waddle

+1

It is difficult to give a specific recommendation without seeing a picture, but it is usually difficult to make significant improvements to the "waddle" without a surgical procedure.  Typically a lower face and neck lift is needed to improve this area if there is significant excess skin and soft tissue.  Occasionally,  if the area is mainly fat below the chin and the skin is fairly tight, a nice result can be achieved with submental liposuction, which is a small procedure to remove the fat.  This can be done under local anesthesia if desired.  It would be best to be evaluated by  a facial plastic or plastic surgeon in person to discuss different treatment options. 

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Unfortunately, you can't. In some cases, mostly in younger patients with excess fat but minimal skin laxity, liposuction alone can improve the neck contour. However, if the issue is excess lax skin, liposuction alone is rarely effective and can actually make the waddle look worse. For most patients with your concerns, a necklift or lower face and necklift are the best options. However, a consultation would be required to make specific recommendations for you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon