How Can You Get Rid of the "Waddle" Under Your Chin Without Some Type of Surgery?

Neck waddle treatment

If you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has the portfolio of non-surgical options in your area who can help explain the treatment options for you and the limitations of each option, both surgical and non-surgical.

Get Rid of Waddle Under Chin Without Surgery

Non-invasive or minimally-invasive options exist to help with that issue. Radio frequency treatments to the surface of the skin with ThermiSmooth can help melt away fat to smooth the area. If additional tightening is needed, ThermiTight applies the same "science of heat" but under the skin to really target areas that have lost elasticity or that have developed pockets of fat. 

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Waddle Neck Removal Without Surgery

The turkey gobbler neck is created by loose skin, some fat, and muscle laxity, and, though the body fat can be reduced to none, the other two components remain.  These two components can only be addressed with a neck lift.

Surgery needed to get rid of waddle under the chin

The waddle underneath the chin has 3 components that all must be addressed depending upon the patient’s age.  These are skin, muscle, and fat.  Fat is removed with liposuction.  If there is excess muscle and laxity in cords, this is addressed through a platysmaplasty with or without a neck lift.  Any excess skin is addressed through a facelift procedure.

Laser-assisted liposuction (Smartlipo) can help with a "waddle"

Patients are often interested in "non-surgical" correction of a problem.  There are really no good "non-surgical" options for correction of excess skin under the chin.  Sometimes patients say they are looking for a "non-surgical" answer but they are really looking for something that can be done outside of the operating room.  If that is the case for you then Smartlipo or laser-assisted liposuction may be a useful procedure for you.  This technique allows for improvement of the submental or chin region by tightening the neck skin and removing fat.  It isn't the right procedure for everyone and sometimes a neck lift is the only answer for correction of the problem.  The nice thing with neck lifts is that it is possible to do the procedure in the office under local anesthesia in some patients.  The best thing to do is to meet with a local board-certified plastic surgeon and learn from them what is best for you.  Good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Only some type of neck lift will clean up a double chin.

Hi.

Maybe you only need liposuction.  But for sure you need some surgical procedure.  Beware of gimmicks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Is there a way to improve the "waddle" under the chin without surgery?

This is something that is best addressed with surgery, as there are really no effective non-surgical treatments for improving a "waddle" under the chin. Photos would really be necessary to give you the best advice, but I can make some recommendations on treatments that can improve the area. Depending on the age of the patient and elasticity of the skin, submental/jowl liposuction yields a great result. Depending on the patient's needs, the best overall result would be from a necklift, (with liposuction of the neck if necessary), and platysmaplasty, removing skin around the ears if needed. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified surgeon who uses computer imaging software. He/she can morph your photo, and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. Thank you, and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Getting rid of a Turkey neck

Without an examination, it would be hard to determine which procedure is best for you.  Also, age plays a part in this.  As we get older our skin doesn't bounce back after liposuction of the neck.  You may need a face/neck lift.  Discuss this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what is best for you.

How can I get rid of my turkey neck?

The waddle under the chin is usually caused by excess fat, sagging muscle, loose skin, or a combination of these. If the waddle under the chin is just excess fat, then lipocontouring of the neck can create very nice, natural improvement in the neck and jawline. If there is loose skin and platysma muscle you would likely benefit from a minimum of a neck lift and possibly a facelift. Unfortunately, there are very few non-surgical solutions for this problem. I would get a comprehensive evaluation by a qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeon who can provide you with different options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting rid of the "Waddle" under the chin

If it is just fat causing the waddle under the chin, then liposuction does great for that for roughly $2500. If it is a little loose skin then a platysmaplasty with lipo procedure for $4500 is the answer and if it is a lot of loose skin then a lower face/neck lift for $8500 takes care of it easily. All these procedures are done under local anesthesia and make a dramatic improvement and are fairly easy to undergo. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon