Neck Rejuvenation - is There Really Nothing Short of Surgery?

I understand most MDs feel that no nonsurgical procedures will rejuvenate the neck appreciably but a lower facelift or neck lift. That said, with small 2 children (2 & 6) and being a stay at home mom, taking 2 weeoffer more off to recover isn't an option, period. What might give even a small bit of improvement for crepey skin over the Adams apple and horizontal neck bands? Nothing? I had Ulthera. It helped my jawline but not my neck bands or over my central neck. Surgery or nothing? I am 43.

Neck Lift or Nothing?

+1

Neck bands can be injected with Botox and skin can be improved with filler or chemical peels along with alot of other modalities.  However, if you want the neck bands to go away and have the skin tight, the neck lift is best.

Neck Rejuvenation

+1

Though it is not technically part of the face, a neck with loose, sagging skin can age the face dramatically. A neck lift is a standard part of most facelift surgeries, as the neck skin is mobilized in continuity with the lower face.

Immediately under the skin of the neck is the platysma muscle, which you can easily see in a mirror when you clench your teeth and tighten your jaw. In youth, this paired muscle meets in the midline below the chin. With age, the right and left sides of the platysma often separate, producing vertical 'cords' in the anterior neck. The platysma can be divided anteriorly and tightened during neck lift cosmetic surgery to permanently eliminate these 'cords' and improve the neck contour. One tightened in the midline below the chin, lateral traction on the platysma then creates a 'sling' which elevates the soft tissues below the jawline.

Most people can resume most normal activities within a wekk of this surgery

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Leave neck alone until ready for neck lift.

+1

Hi.

It does not sound like you have a bad problem, and you have tried other things.  When you do it, the recovery is usually one week.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Neck Rejuvenation

+1

It appears that you have already obtained expert opinion and tried probably the best non-surgical device on the market and found out that there is no substitute for surgery. At your age, one of the less invasive vertical facelifts like a modified MACS Lift can frequently have shorter recovery, but you will still have to find someone to take care of your children for a while.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck Rejuvenation without Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. This issue is raised frequently by patients who would prefer to employ non-surgical rejuvenation methods when possible. Your question would be best answered during an in-person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon. However, you may consider the following. Age-related skin surface changes may be improved with resurfacing modalities such as a chemical peel or laser treatment. True laxity of the neck skin is best approached with a well-performed lower facelift or neck lift. Non-surgical options for neck rejuvenation are in high demand. As a result, there are numerous procedures advertised to meet that demand. However, few non-surgical neck rejuvenation treatments live up to the claims made about their effectiveness. I hope that helps.

James M. Pearson, MD

Neck Rejuvenation - Is Surgery Necessary?

+1

A lower facelift or neck lift is typically more like a 1-2 week recovery, not the "2 weeks or more" that you described.  And the recovery is more of a "social recovery" where how quickly you look socially presentable is more of a factor than how you feel.  It is definitely not a "you can't do much more than lay in bed" kind of recovery - the pain is usually quite tolerable, and really more of a discomfort during those first 7 days.  Loose skin and platysmal bands on the neck respond best to a lift.  Realistically, there is no reasonable alternative.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Depends on how much improvement you need

+1

The recovery from face/neck surgery is less than most people think and many patients can look quite presentable at one week.  Non surgical options can help some but they don't deal with skin laxity

Sam Naficy, MD

Do I need surgery for my neck?

+1

Ulthera and Thermage are non-surgical options for addressing mild effects of aging in the neck. These can provide a slight tightening effect and improve the definition of the jawline. In my experience, nothing addresses banding in the neck as effectively as a neck lift. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the recovery period. This is a trade off for lasting, good results.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Neck Rejuvenation- What are the options?

+1

Fillers such as restylane/juvederm($550/syringe) can fill in the creases and chemical peels($500-1000 ea.) can smooth out the crepe surface but true neck rejuvenation usually involves either a platysmaplasty ($4500) for the central neck and/or neck lift ($6000) for the lateral neck which is all done under local anesthesia quite easily. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Crepy neck skin.

+1

If the skin is loose and there is sagging you need a neck lift.  If you have sun daged skin a chemical peel will help.