39 Years Old Loose Neck Skin? (photo)

I am a 98 lb woman, I am almost 40. i have always liked my profile and still do. However I have noticed when I look in a mirror, from below looking up I see loose skin. I do not really think it is noticeable unless looking up under my neck but would neck exercises or skin tyte help?

Platsyma Banding

+1

As the platysmal bands become more prominent with age and skin integrity is compromised a neck lift may become necessary.  It is reasonable to start with Botox to the platysmal bands.

Neck rejuvenation

+1

It is possible that laser skin tightening might provide and improvement and delay the need for a surgical procedure of the neck

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Improving neck contour

+1

Thanks for the photos. It's a bit hard to assess the quality of neck skin based on photos alone. Just from the photos, it appears that you have medial platysmal banding resulting in two, near parallel, vertically oriented banding from chin to lower neck. If you have good skin quality and not much loose skin, then I would think that just correcting the muscle position will be suffice to improve your neck contour. I would first try Botox to see if the muscle will relax enough and fall back along your natural contour of the neck. If Botox is unsuccessful, then a surgical platysmalplasty can improve your condition. It's done with a short incision below your chin. Unless you also have significant loose skin, you may not need incision behind your ears to pull the skin. Given all these options, you really should get a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon to help decide the best course of action.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Neck lift will remove platysma bands.

+1

Hi.

You certainly do not look bad at all.  But your problem is platysma muscle bands, not just a little loose skin.  Do not waste your money on gimmicks.  When you cannot stand your neck, have a neck lift (safe and simple, with a short scar under the chin).  That is the only thing that corrects these bands, and it is very long lasting.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Loose neck skin in 39 year old

+1

There are no neck exercises or skin tightening procedures that will help when there is excess skin in the neck.  The 2 cords that are present are actually the anterior most platysmal cords.    They are beginning to herniate downward, tenting the lower neck skin outwards.  When there is excess skin present in the neck along with anterior platysmal bands, the only solution is to perform a lower face/neck lift that includes the tightening of the platysmal muscle in both the anterior and posterior portion of the muscle to give a comprehensive neck rejuvenation.

Loose Neck Skin

+1

I would agree that your main issue is related to banding of the platysma muscle.  I have not personally had much success in improving these bands using Botox.  With your young age I would suspect that this banded appearance is going to get worse as you age.  I would recommend approaching the neck through incisions behind the ears and under the chin.  I would then divide the platysma muscle very low in the neck and then suture it together in the midline.

Michael Sundine, MD

Your problem is prominent platysma bands, not loose skin

+1

The platysma is a very thin muscle beneath the skin that covers the other major muscles in your neck. The two anterior edges of the platysma come together in the middle, but not always. What you're saying is the edge of the platysma muscle. There are surgical procedures to suture the muscle edge together, cut the muscle inferiorly to let it slide, or pulled the muscles from incision around the ear. Some patients have success with injecting the muscle age with about 25 units of Botox per muscle, and this will last about 3-4 months.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Loose skin on neck

+1

It appears from you photos that your issue is more with bands from the muscle underneath the skin of your neck and not with the skin itself.  There are surgical techniques that can be done to deal with this issue alone and not tighten the skin of the neck.  I would recommend an in person consultation to determine if you are a candidate for this type of surgery or not.  As was mentioned previously, Botox injections would be another option but the results would not last as long as the surgical option.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

You need to see a certified PS to go over your options. From your pictures you can’t really get a clear view on what it is that you would benefit from. If you are concerned about loose skin in your neck a neck lift and Liposuction of the neck would give you great results.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

39 Years Old Loose Neck Skin?

+1

As the previous experts have posted the issue is more of the p. bands than excess skin. Try BOTOX injections first to see if you like the results. Understand this is a 2 to 3 times a year therapy. Cost from $1,000+ each visit.