How to Get Rid of Pannus(fannypack)?

I am 45, 3 kids, 2 C-sections,and Abdominal Hysterctmy. Dieting and excersizing(walking 4-8 miles 3-4 times a week/mixed jogging). I have lost 25lbs so far. Started at 186lbs, now 162lbs. My goal is 135-140, I am 5'5. I always had a fannypack/bellybutton roll/pannus. First stretch marks were from puberty not pregnancy. I want ME back at my original size6.(had bellyroll at that size too). How do I get rid of this belly fat finally w/diet and excersize? With no surgeries.

Surgery may be the only option for excess skin.

It’s difficult to make a specific recommendation without a physical examination or pictures. Your history suggest the presence of a significant lower abdominal roll that extends posteriorly into your flanks. In my experience exercise and diet often make loose skin more noticeable.
Although it’s important to continue weight loss, this probably won’t affect your loose hanging skin. Under these circumstances, an abdominoplasty will probably be necessary.
For these reasons, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a plan that addresses your concerns.

How to get rid of pannus

It is difficult to provide an accurate recommendation without the ability to examine you or view your photographs. Based on your description however it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck.In the performance of a full abdominoplasty, an incision is made from one hip to the other. The incision is carried through the skin and fat layer and stops at the muscle layer. At this level the skin and fat layer is elevated off of the underlying muscle layer. This elevation is continued up to the belly button. An incision is then made around the belly button to keep it in it's normal location allowing the skin and fat layer to continue to be elevated up to the rib margin. Very often tightening of the muscle layer is then accomplished before removing the excess skin. The loose skin and fat layer is then pulled down snugly and the excess skin and fat is then removed. The belly button has not been moved or removed. It is still in it's normal location underneath the skin and fat layer. An incision is made over the belly button and it is pulled up to the surface and re-stitched in it's original location.
This procedure would provide you with the most comprehensive recontouring of your abdomen. Good luck .

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after weight loss

A picture may be helpful in answering your question. You sound determined to reach your goals. It is difficult to predict what your result will be post-weight loss. Many of my weight loss patients reach their ideal weight but are left with loose skin that cannot be removed without surgery. You described stretchmarks, meaning that the quality of your skin is such that it may not be able to “bounce back” after weight loss. Surgery may be necessary.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

How to get rid of pannus?

The treatment for excess weight is diet and exercise, which you are doing, and congratulations on your weight loss.  Continued wieight loss should get you closer to your goal.  The treatment for specific areas of excess fat that are resistant to diet and exercise is possibly liposuction contouring of these problem areas. The treatment for loose skin resulting from weight gain followed by weight loss is skin excision and tightening, and in the abdominal area this is a tummy tuck.  Of all of these options for treating different problems, only continued diet and exercise is non-surgical. There is no non-surgical option for removing loose skin.

How to lose the abdominal roll and stretch marks

After you reach your ideal weight, you can consider trying a serires of non-invasive techniques such as Zeltiq, which uses cold therapy to to freeze fat cells, but you will not get the results you will with abdominoplasty surgery.  Even if you do have a reduction in fat, it sounds like skin excess is also a problem - which responds best to a surgical excision.  Tummy tucks are very common procedures, have an excellent safety record, and patients are usually thrilled with the results!  Consultation with a plastic surgeon will help answer questions and make recommendations based on your body.

How to remove pannus

I doubt that diet and exercise will totally solve your problem.  It will help, but no  diet or exercise will remove excess skin that is commom after childbirth and weight gain and loss.  See a board certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

How to Get Rid of Pannus(fannypack)?

As you can read all the experts recommend some form of a tummy tuck. But try additional weiight loss before to obtain a better result. 

High Lateral Tension Tummy Tuck

Dieting and exercising can not get rid of localized fat nor can remove the skin that accompanies the roll of fat you are describing.  Most likely surgical intervention is the solution to your condition.  I recommend you look into the High Lateral Tension Tummy tuck with multivector muscle tightening.  This technique is ideal for those who have rolls of skin and bulging abdomen resulting from large weight gain and subsequent weight loss or from pregnancies. 

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Getting Rid Of Pannus Without Surgery Probably Not Feasible

Your desire to get your abdomen back to your pre-pregnancy state with only diet and exercise (and without surgery) is admirable but probably not possible.  Diet and exercise can certainly result in the loss of body fat, but they have no effect on excess skin or on stretch marks.  It is highly likely that you will require a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty to address your excess skin and stretch marks.  Continue with your diet and exercise as you try to reach your desired weight, but also consult with one or more BC plastic surgeons to explore all of your options.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Weight loss and tummy tuck

Many people want their old body back with weight loss and exercise.  It rarely happens that way.  With pregnancies and C-sections and stretch marks and a hanging panniculus the damage to the tissues is permanent and irreversible.  Surgical intervention is a good solution for a better and permanent result which can be quite remarkable.  Good luck with your exercise and weight loss.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon