Extended Tummy Tuck vs. Regular Tummy Tuck

which is best?

Tummy tuck San Diego

+3

I agree with Dr. Rand, that there is no standard definition of extended (or any) tummy tuck.  There are so many different available techniques, that many surgeons, myself included, adapt the operation to achieve the best result for each patient.  This means, in my opinion, the shortest possible scar, the lowest possible scar, the narrowest waist, the most natural belly button, and the sexiest contour, with removal of enough skin to flatten the belly permanently, but not too much which leaves the scar under tension, setting up a situation which may lead to widening of the scar, or even wound separation.  So, the answer to your question is, I would examine you and extend the scar only as long as absolutely needed to remove the loose skin.

Tummy tuck depends on extent of your loose skin

+2

It's difficult to say based on this one photo. If you have loose skin which extends around your entire torso you may actually need more than even an extended tummy tuck; you may need a body lift. This incision goes circumferentially around your waist and allows for removal of skin from the sides and lower back as well as the abdomen- which also lifts the buttock area as well. A tummy tuck alone may not treat your entire torso properly.

I recommend consulting with a few plastic surgeons for a more detailed evaluation.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck

+2

Contrary to the esteemed plastic surgeons below, I do use the term extended tummy tuck with some of my patients.  This is in my mind simply an extension of the "normal" incision that I use for a tummy tuck.  It does not involve a vertical incision and do not charge additionally for it.  I find it appropriate in many massive weight loss patients, especially those who are not candidates for or do not with to undergo total body lifts.  It is not in my case a slick term.

John Whitt, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for you question. When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1. The amount of loose skin

2. The volume of fatty tissue

3. The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:

1. Upper Abdomen

2. Area around the Belly Button

3. Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck. In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button. I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK: this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen. This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision. I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.

EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK: This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area. I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY: this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Standard vs. mini tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided, you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. A full tummy tuck involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose and excess skin to provide a tightened abdomen area. An extended tummy tuck also treats the skin and adipose tissue of the flank and/or lower back area. Ultimately, it is best to discuss your overall goals with your surgeon to decide what your best and safest option is.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Choosing appropriate Tummy Tuck

+1

Each patient needs a unique surgical approach based on the patient’s anatomy.  Simply calling it “standard” or “extended” is not relevant.  Make sure your surgeon discusses with you how he will correct your skin issues, your fatty layer issues, your loose muscular layer issues, and your belly buttons.  Once all of those components are analyzed then an appropriate surgical plan will be formed, so that you achieve an ideal outcome.

Achieving optimum results in a tummy tuck requires that surgeon has significant experience with this procedure as well as talent to execute all the necessary maneuvers. Concentrating on catchy terms is simply a marketing technique.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Extended vs full tummy tuck

+1

Frequently an extended tummy tuck can be avoided with fascial contouring and liposuction in the flank area.  It is really necessary to have an expert physical exam to assess your exact needs.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Extended tummy tuck????????????? What is it?

+1

I agree with Dr Rand.   An extended tummy tuck is some obscure term that means something different to each surgeon.   There is a goo well done tummy tuck that gives great results.  This is what you need.  Seek a respected ABPS certified surgeon and get 3 opinions.  Avoid listining to some slick term such as extnded tummy tuck.  Dr Commons,

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Extended vs standard tummy tuck

+1

It would be much easier to tell with your arms down.  To me, "extended" just means going further around the sides than I normally do and with your arms up I can't tell how far back skin bulges go.  Sometimes those bulges can be taken care of with liposuction alone thereby allowing me to keep your scar relatively short.  Be sure to have an in person evaluation from a board certified plastic surgeon (or a few) to learn about what option is best for you.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Extended tummy tuck vs regular TT

+1

You needed to put your arms down in the photo to give a more accurate representation of what you look like and to get quality answers.  First, there is no standard definition of an extended TT.  Most surgeons reserve this designation for the massive weight loss patient who needs a vertical and a horizontal scar to get the best result or one whose horizontal scar needs to extend far around the side to avoid dog ears.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS