After a Tummu Tuck without Lipo, how long before I can have the lipo of hips and flanks done? Is three months enough time?

It's been a month that I had my tummy tuck.  The doctor suggested that I not do the lipo.  I had asked because I have a small waist to begin with and big hips didn't want it to be disproportionate.  The doctor suggested not to have lipo said I didn't have enough fat.  I am 5/4" and 124 lbs.   My legs are thin.  I work out but my stomach and sides were my problem area.  When i first had the tt it seemed fine because I was swollen, now one month later not swollen I feel fine I love my tummy but feel like I am wearing a donut around my hips.  I hate it so much I am having anxiety issues and attacks I am so obsessed with my hips that I don't want to go out anymore and will only wear loose clothing.  I feel so thin on top with huge donut hips.   When i went for my three week post op the doctor said it looked great.  He called the nurse to look also and I know that she noticed my hips.  I said I was going back to the gym  she said work out if it doesnt go away come back for the lipo so I know it's not just me.  I knew I should have had it all at once.  How long before I can have the lipo of hips and flanks done is three months enough time.  i want to call and schedule procedure right away so I can rest.  Has this happened to any one else  :{

Liposuction after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would suggest that you wait as close to one year after surgery before deciding on the need for additional surgery. It may take that amount of time for the skin to fully “redrape".

Hip /waist and medial thigh liposuction often combined with tummy tuck

+1

There is really no corelation between weight/ height and wether or not you would benefit from liposuction in these areas.  Liposuction is a sculpting procedure to help you attain a desired shape (if possible and healthy), not a procedure reserved for the "heavy". I perform liposuction of these areas (all or some of these areas) in about 80% of the time.  I initially consult with the patient using the computer analysis to "fix' the tummy , then we look at the rest of the areas and plan accordingly. In Florida we are limited to removal (by liposuction) of 1000 cs of fat when we combine it with ANY OTHER procedure (In an office operating room setting / AAAASF).. That amount ususually takes care of the problem areas in most of my patients.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Hip lipo with a tummy tuck

+1

Lipo can be done with a tummy tuck.  You do sound somewhat unusually distraught over this hip issue and I would caution doing something to quickly.  Relax and take several deep breaths.  This can be fixed but take your time.  I'm happy your pleased with your tummy tuck.  Love yourself a bit for good mental health.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Tummy tuck without lipo

+1

Best to post photo of your result. But since you did not my guess is a minor liposuction of the hips under local anesthesia will set things right for you. 

Wait at least 3 months to consider additional surgery

+1

Hi Manhattan122,

I am sorry that you are so stressed out about this.  First, try to relax.  After surgery it is quite common to be on an emotional rollercoaster.This is an issue that can definitely be solved.  As you pointed out, you are very anxious.  Anxiety always magnifies everything and makes it seem worse than it is.  At one month post-op you are still in the EARLY phases of healing.  You will start to see what is closer to the final result in another 2-3months.  If, at that time, you are a little out of proportion or need contouring in the hip area, that is a simple procedure to perform.  I would caution to wait at least another 2 months before making any decisions.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and let them know you would like to discuss your options if in 3 months your proprortions need some adjustment.  Sometimes if you have a plan of action in place, even if it just to evaluate in 2 months, it will help relieve the anxiety.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Tummy tuck without Liposuction

+1

You are still in the early post op period.  I would wait 6 months to allow any swelling to subside.  This will give you the best chance to obtain the results you desire.  The surgeon at that time can accurately zone in on the area of concern.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Liposuction Thighs San Diego

+1

Thigh and hip liposuction is often performed in the prone position, but the tummy tuck supine.  Your hips/thighs bothered you before, but not as much as the tummy.  Now that the tummy is fixed, thighs bothering you even more (if I understand you correctly).  NOT A BIG DEAL!  You are small, and although it's bothering you, doesn't sound like it will be difficult or too expensive to have liposuction to trim hips/thighs/flanks.  

In support of your surgeon, I must say that I too err on the side of conservatism.  Still, we can't always predict exactly how things will turn out, and how patients will feel about their result.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lipo with a tummy tuck

+1

At 5'4 and 124lb you don't sound like a heavy person that needs liposuction.  If you do have extra fat on your hips (is it really extra fat or is it your hip bones that are more prominent now?) that a liposuction sculpting can be performed at any time.  However, once again, at your heigh and weight, I suspect there is not a lot of fat to suction out.  Pictures would be very helpful.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD