Non-Invasive Procedure to Remove Double Chin

I would like to get rid of my "double chin" but I absolutely cannot have time off from work and showing up there wearing pressure bandage after liposuction is simply impossible.

Are there any options that will allow me to improve the contour under my chin? I am 38, normal weight.

Both previous expert posters on correct. More "bang for your buck" with some type of liposuction. I prefer Smart Lipo under local anesthesia. All the other "non invasive" therapies are very limited and unpredictable. 

Kybella Might Be What You Are Looking For

Hi Julia,
The FDA just approved an injectable treatment to get rid of neck fat called Kybella. I just got back from the annual meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic surgeons in Montreal and had a chance to talk to the manufacturer. It looks like it will be this fall when it's available. Here's what I learned.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction

Thanks for sharing. In general current neck rejuvenation treatments include:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

At your age you likely only need minor treatment such as liposuction / laser lipolysis. Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Treatment for double chin

From your photos, I believe you would be a good candidate for a limited liposuction of the chin/neck.  To help the skin shrink or retract ultrasound or laser assisted liposuction could also be added.  This procedure could be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.  If performed on a Friday, you could remove the compression bandage by Monday, so that you would be presentable, when you returned to work.   You could then wear the compression bandage only at night. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Double chin

Tumescent liposuction is your best option. The bandage is worn 48-72 hours , continuously. After that it is worn evenings only for 2 weeks. Usually , procedure is done on friday, so that by Monday, u can go back to work. It is an in-office procedure, under local anesthesia.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Limited Neck Liposuction For Small Double Chin Has A Quick Recovery

As you have corrently surmised, liposuction is the most effective treatment for a 'fat only' double chin that you have. Non-surgical options are a possibility, such as ultrasound and other heat-generating devices, but their effectiveness is limited and results can be spotty. I have found Lipodissolve injections to be effective but they cause tremendous swelling (double the neck size) for a week after and are worse in social appearance than any liposuction result. My recommendation is have liposuction done on a friday and just don't wear a neck strap to work on monday After 48 hours most of my patients don't wear them anyway. I think you may be chasing some very inferior treatments when the traditional fat removal method would work just fine and not be as socially limiting as you might think.

CoolSculpting an option for double chin.

Zeltiq has announced the release of the CoolMini applicator. We just received it in our office. This applicator will enable us to treat the area under the chin, (the double chin). Prices will vary in each city. Best to contact your experienced CoolSculpting practice, and go in for a consult to see if you are an appropriate candidate.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Non-Invasive Double Chin Treatment

An exciting new technique for reducing that "double chin" look is through a medication injection treatment called "Kybella."

A series of two or three treatment sessions 4 weeks apart involve the injection of the newly FDA approved substance "Kybella" (deoxycholate) into the fat below the chin resulting in a reduction of the bulge over several weeks.  Best results are obtained in individuals with average to better than average skin tone of the neck.

When performed expertly the treatment is painless due to use of injectable anesthetic prior to Kybella injection although some mild tenderness in the treatment area will occur afterwards and last for about two weeks.

The medication works by dissolving the fat cells creating the bulge under the chin.

Victor Michalak, MD
Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella - nonsurgical procedure reduces submental fullness

Kybella is an FDA-approved injectable medication to reduce submental fullness. 

The most important part of the Kybella procedure is a consultation to determine if you are an appropriate candidate and to make sure that you have the right expectations about what the procedure can do for you, as well as the side effects.

The procedure itself is relatively simple - the submental area is "mapped out," and small aliquots of kybella are injected in a precise grid-like pattern.  Kybella destroys the fat cells.  The body responds to this injury with swelling and fullness that typically lasts 1-2 weeks.  You will typically see improvement with one treatment, but most patients need two to six treatments, spaced 4-6 weeks apart.

Kybella for Neck Contouring

While liposuction with platysmaplasty is the gold surgical standard, there is now an FDA approved non-surgical option for sub mental  fat called Kybella. It consists of one to two sessions spaced one month apart. There is little to no downtime with this treatment, and early studiues showed good patient satisfaction. 

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon