Non-Invasive Procedure to Remove Double Chin

I would like to get rid of my "double chin" but I absolutely cannot have time off from work and showing up there wearing pressure bandage after liposuction is simply impossible.

Are there any options that will allow me to improve the contour under my chin? I am 38, normal weight.

Both previous expert posters on correct. More "bang for your buck" with some type of liposuction. I prefer Smart Lipo under local anesthesia. All the other "non invasive" therapies are very limited and unpredictable. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Chin liposuction

Thanks for sharing. In general current neck rejuvenation treatments include:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and gets the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and/or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient. A platysmaplasty can be added for further muscle tightening
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
  6. Botox to the platysma bands to decrease their show
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

At your age you likely only need minor treatment such as liposuction / laser lipolysis. Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck rejuvenation to discuss your options.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

1401 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Kybella Might Be What You Are Looking For

Hi Julia,
The FDA just approved an injectable treatment to get rid of neck fat called Kybella. I just got back from the annual meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic surgeons in Montreal and had a chance to talk to the manufacturer. It looks like it will be this fall when it's available. Here's what I learned.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

109 Northshore Drive
Knoxville, TN 37919

Treatment for double chin

From your photos, I believe you would be a good candidate for a limited liposuction of the chin/neck.  To help the skin shrink or retract ultrasound or laser assisted liposuction could also be added.  This procedure could be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.  If performed on a Friday, you could remove the compression bandage by Monday, so that you would be presentable, when you returned to work.   You could then wear the compression bandage only at night. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

2581 Samaritan Drive
San Jose, CA 95124

Weekend Necklift is a good option for you

In my opinion, the BEST option for you is a Weekend Necklift.

Weekend Necklift is an ideal procedure for the area under the chin and neck, including 'double chin'.

The laser assisted 'weekend' necklift represents the evolution of sophisticated facial plastic surgery techniques.  These techniques are uniquely combined to achieve improvement in the contour of the chin and neck with minimal incisions and rapid recovery.

To achieve a weekend necklift:

1. I use cervicofacial liposculpture to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the 'Turkey neck' and 'double chin'.
  2. Next I pay careful attention to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands.
  3. Lastly, I employ laser technology to 'resurface' the underside of the neck skin, thereby 'shrinkwrapping' the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

After a short recovery of a few days, the patient can return to normal activity and the only evidence that the procedure has been performed is a dramatically improved appearance and a one-inch incision hidden in the natural fold under the chin. It is generally recommended that patients "take it easy" for a week after the procedure. Many patients say they feel nearly normal that afternoon, however, by the next morning they experience some discomfort.  This procedure is ideal to have done on a Thursday as most patients can easily return to work the following Monday.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

707 W Eau Gallie Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32935

Double chin

Tumescent liposuction is your best option. The bandage is worn 48-72 hours , continuously. After that it is worn evenings only for 2 weeks. Usually , procedure is done on friday, so that by Monday, u can go back to work. It is an in-office procedure, under local anesthesia.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

14555 Levan Rd.
Livonia, MI 48154

Limited Neck Liposuction For Small Double Chin Has A Quick Recovery

As you have corrently surmised, liposuction is the most effective treatment for a 'fat only' double chin that you have. Non-surgical options are a possibility, such as ultrasound and other heat-generating devices, but their effectiveness is limited and results can be spotty. I have found Lipodissolve injections to be effective but they cause tremendous swelling (double the neck size) for a week after and are worse in social appearance than any liposuction result. My recommendation is have liposuction done on a friday and just don't wear a neck strap to work on monday After 48 hours most of my patients don't wear them anyway. I think you may be chasing some very inferior treatments when the traditional fat removal method would work just fine and not be as socially limiting as you might think.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Kybella - nonsurgical procedure reduces submental fullness

Kybella is an FDA-approved injectable medication to reduce submental fullness. 

The most important part of the Kybella procedure is a consultation to determine if you are an appropriate candidate and to make sure that you have the right expectations about what the procedure can do for you, as well as the side effects.

The procedure itself is relatively simple - the submental area is "mapped out," and small aliquots of kybella are injected in a precise grid-like pattern.  Kybella destroys the fat cells.  The body responds to this injury with swelling and fullness that typically lasts 1-2 weeks.  You will typically see improvement with one treatment, but most patients need two to six treatments, spaced 4-6 weeks apart.

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Kybella for Neck Contouring

While liposuction with platysmaplasty is the gold surgical standard, there is now an FDA approved non-surgical option for sub mental  fat called Kybella. It consists of one to two sessions spaced one month apart. There is little to no downtime with this treatment, and early studiues showed good patient satisfaction. 

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

9002 N Meridian St
Indianapolis, IN 46260-5381

Surgical Intervention is Best to Remove Chin Fat

A variety of non-invasive procedures exist to address double chin deformities.  Unfortunately these procedures have significant limitations for managing neck fat.  In patients with tight skin and fat accumulation within the neck, liposuction is the gold standard.  Unfortunately this procedure is often accompanied by swelling and bruising in the post-operative period.

In some cases, liposuction could be performed on a Friday and patients might be able to return to work on a Monday. It might be possible to discontinue the pressure dressing as well. Even with these maneuvers patients might have noticeable bruising and swelling which might be hard to disguise.

For these reasons consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon can determine what procedure is best for you and whether it’s feasible within your time constraints.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114