Lipo of Neck, Unsure of Results - 1 Week

I'm 35. Had lipo neck and chin a week ago. I thought the doc would say he didn't take enough fat, but he and the nurses were delighted at my results and said in 3 months I will look like a different person with a firm neckline without the double chin. While I was glad to hear, inside I feel down cause I still look the same. Still have double chin and fat neck. He removed over 200 cc's. Wanting other's opinion since we are our own worst critics, will it firm by 3 months or do I need more taken?

How long does swelling last after neck liposuction?

+3

Hi Sonya,  You will be fine in all likelihood.  I tell patients to try to not look in the mirror too often during the first week after surgery and then only once a week for the first month.   Swelling takes time to disapate and varies greatly from person to person.   See your doctor for reassurance,  After 3 months you still will be recovering.  By 6 months, your swelling should be down 90% but you still have up to 12 months for 100% to be gone.  

You can help the swelling situation by evangelically avoiding salt (Na+, Sodium) for the first 3 months.   Salt is in everything.  Read all labels.  Stay around 1500 mg per day and no more.  Use salt substitute.  Sleep with your head elevated above your heart level.  Drink a lot of water.  Sometmes I will use diuretics if swelling is extreme but I rarely do this.  Facial (massage) probably help speed the process 5%, but the main issue is time.  IT TAKES TIME   for the little lymphatics in your tissues to reconnect and function normally.  When these little lymphatics do reconnect, swelling disapates.  Quit worrying.  Take great car of yourself.  BE EVANGELICAL about salt avoidance. You will be fine.  My Best,  Dr Commons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction after one week

+2

The chin and neck will take more than one week as the swelling has just peaked after three days. Bruising will remain for three weeks more. Your results look just fine so you should relax, rest and follow your surgeons recovery plan.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Chin/neck contour after liposuction

+2

You can expect to see results a few weeks after liposuction of your chin/neck, but your final results may take up to 3 or 4 months to allow for skin contraction and shrinkage.  Younger patients (<40) will usually have very good results due to the elasticity of their skin.  A garment is helpful to be worn in the first few weeks after surgery to control the swelling and improve the final contour.

Be patient for now, but consult with your plastic surgeon for more details throughout your recovery.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Swelling after neck liposuction

+2

Swelling after neck liposuction is very common and concern regarding the swelling early on is just as common.  We have our patients wear a facial garment that comfortably applies pressure to the neck area that was treated.  This also allows the skin to be apposed to the tissue underneath.  The tissue and skin continue to tighten for several weeks and I frequently remind patients that they will look their best around 4 months.  If 200cc was removed from your neck, then the tightening process will take somewhat longer but be patient, give it more time,  follow up with your surgeon regularly.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early neck liposuction swelling

+2

At this early stage there is still swelling.  I would wait at least 3-4 months prior to evauating the results.  All the best, Dr. Vartanian. 

Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Liposuction

+2

Hi Sonya70-

At one week swelling is at its' peak. Be sure to sleep elevated. Often a support strap is used to help with the temporary swelling. It will take 6-12 weeks to start to fully appreciate your results. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thanks for the posted photos NOW! I see a very nice early result. What is your hurry? Your neck got that way over many years, so after 1 week you want to be fully healed? Try to understand the term "realistic expectations". In your circumstance I believe full healing or result will take months. I also recommend lymphatic deep massages or external ultrasound therapy.  From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Swelling From Neck Liposuction Can Take Months To Go Away

+2

Of all areas that are treated on the body by liposuction, the greatest amount of swelling after surgery occurs in the neck. I have no doubt you had a great looking result when they were done but it is all camouflaged now by the swelling that has set in. Such swelling occurs in the neck after liposuction because there is no good way to apply compression after surgery, which is unlike most other body areas. Chin/neck straps are used but good compression in the neck is uncomfortable and there is no good way to keep it on well. Be patient as you will see much improvement over the next 2 months. You will not have a final result until your neck skin feels soft and supple again.

Web reference: http://www.eppleylipossuction.com/

Pictures are very helpful

+2

Sonya

I think patience will definitely be rewarded here.  Even though the before and after photos are taken from very different angles, to me it is suggestive that you already have the start of a significant difference.  However, as others here have pointed out, these types of procedures really do take several months for the swelling to settle.  On week is so early that it is difficult to appreciate the effect of surgery.  Hopefully your doctor took very good before photos so that when you have healed for several months you will be able to compare high quality before and after photos.  Hang in there and yes being patient is a tough job.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Too soon to tell

+2

At this point it is too soon to tell-you are still swollen and it will take several weeks for that to subside-just stay patient and follow-up with your doctor at your post-op appt.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon