Chin Liposuction or Jaw Surgery?

I am female and I had a chin implant 3 years ago but the impact isn't as great as I would like. I wondered if I would be a candidate for chin liposuction (laser?) or do I have to have the surgery that breaks the jaw to get a radical change? I am submitting some photos. Currently my face is more puffy than normal due to being on steroids. I (I am just curious how it removes fat DIRECTLY under the chin when it appears to mainly be skin there, not fat.) What is average cost for this procedure?

Chin Liposuction

+1

There is difficulty in evaluating you with swelling present and a photo.  You should visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and then be evaluated correctly.  If the exam reveals there to be only skin under the chin, then a facelift of some sort may be indicated.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Profile would benefit from neck surgery

+1
I agree that the chin augmentation did well to help your profile and you would not want any further projection in the chin to keep a feminine profile. In my opinion jaw surgery would not benefit you in any way and would be unnecessary for your complaint. The problem is the laxity in the skin under the chin and neckline. I agree with Dr. Eppley that a submentoplasty would be most effective. I hope this helps you be less confused and is useful information you can use while consulting with your surgeon. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Poor Neck Angle/Profile May Benefit By Submentoplasty And Skin Tightening

+1

The problem that you have with your neck profile/angle is neither chin or jaw related. Your chin projection is actually about as much as you would want for a female but the tissues in the neck is your concern. This has a lot to do with your natural anatomy and the overall tissue components of your neck. Some options to consider is a slightly larger chin implant with submental liposuction or, likely to be more effective, is a submentoplasty (submental liposuction and platysmal muscle tightening) combined with a limited necklift (aka limited facelift or jowl lift) to try and achieve a better neck angle.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin advancement or neck reshaping for sloping neck profile

+1

Thanks for the photos.  The sloping profile of your neck may be related to an anatomical structure known as a low hyoid bone.  This horseshoe shaped bone is the "rack" on which your larynx, or voicebox, is suspended.  The chin implant you had 3 years ago has done well to bring your chin profile into balance with your facial plane and nose, but the sloping neck under the chin is something of an enigma to many cosmetic surgeons.  I would consider a direct resection of the fat pad behind your chin point with a small skin resection to draw the "throat" into a higher position.  The contour improvement can be as impressive as your fingers are trying to show in the picture on the right.  Liposuction alone may not be able to be this aggressive. 

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon