How to Get Rid of Double Chin

Why doesn't diet and exercise work to get rid of a double chin?  I'm only 27 and I can't remember when I first noticed the collection of fat under my chin.  My diet is strict and I exercise all the time, but nothing changes. Is chin liposuction the only or best way to get rid of the double chin?

Chin Liposuction - Select the Right Surgeon

+12
Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.
As the other plastic surgeons mentioned, be sure to slect a baord certified plastic surgeon to perfrom this procedure The majority of physicians in the U.S. are NOT plastic surgeons; in fact, many do not have any formal surgical training whatsoever. It seems hard to believe, but many physicians performing liposuction have had no more training in liposuction than a 'weekend course'. One way to determine whether or not a physician has had appropriate training in a particular surgery is to confirm that they have hospital privileges for that procedure.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is neither the "only" nor the "best" operation for double chin.

+9
At your age, double chin does not refer to excess skin, loose skin, "turkey wattle," or premature aging. Genetics plays a large role in where and how much fat is deposited in certain areas of the body, and whether or not it is "diet and exercise-resistant."

The fat beneath the chin that gives one a "double chin" is more accurately termed submental fat. There is both superficial or subcutaneous fat (beneath the skin but above the platysma muscle), and deeper fat beneath the platysma, which is the flat, sheet-like muscle along the front surface of the neck. This muscle often causes neck "bands" as we age, and the anatomy of the submental platysma is variable.

Why this is important is that a "double chin" may have some or all of these anatomic factors, and "liposuction under the chin" may not even address the real issue(s) that give you the appearance that you wish to improve.

I have performed thousands of liposuction procedures and taught liposuction for over two decades, so I have extensive experience with this in the neck area. I tell you this because over the years I have found that liposuction alone can give suboptimal results, including lumps, irregularities, and just inadequate improvement. Liposuction cannot be used safely for the sub-platysmal fat, so if this the predominant cause of the neck fullness, this will go unimproved. Another reason for "suboptimal" outcome!

As a solution for these procedural inadequacies I have found that treating the submental area in the same way I treat the neck when I do facelift surgery gives me consistently better results. In other words, with a 2cm submental incision as I do with my facelifts, I can thoroughly and evenly excise the subcutaneous fat under direct vision, carefully cauterize all bleeders, and also take out fat beneath the platysma if necessary or desirable for better results.  I can also suture the front edges of the platysma if necessary (platysmaplasty) to diminish the neck bands, which further smooths and tightens the neck and under-the-chin areas. This takes about 45 minutes (under general anesthesia or IV sedation), and gives my patients a much better result than I previously ever achieved with liposuction (even ultrasonic or smartlipo) alone. The cost is similar, and I have happier patients with better results and fewer re-do surgeries. (The slightly longer scar is just as imperceptible as a shorter scar in the same location--I use only under-the-skin dissolving sutures, and most heal this area beautifully!)

If needed, an anatomic chin implant can be placed via this same incision, tightening and restoring the jawline and filling in the pre-jowl area in patients that would benefit from this. This adds about 30 minutes to the procedure and does not lengthen the recovery, but can significantly enhance the results in appropriate patients!

Liposuction is technically pretty easy, and it's often what patients ask for, but in my humble opinion, it is not really the best, and this area of the body is critical to our appearance and youthfulness. Consider this option and ask your surgeon if he or she is comfortable with this approach. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can address under chin fat

+5

The fat under the chin is a common problem for many patients at any age. Liposuction is a simple and quick solution to remove an excess fat tissue. The procedure can be done under local anesthesia. One word of caution: skin has to have enough elasticity; otherwise, skin lift has to be included.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

How to get rid of a double chin-Laser Assisted Liposuction/SlimLipo

+3

A tendency to have a double chin often is inherited and the double chin tends to develop even in fit people who live a healthy lifestyle and are not overweight.

In my experience the new Laser Assisted Liposuction SlimLipo has been very effective in correcting the double chin (see link below for photos of double chin correction.)

The laser procedure not only removes fat but also helps tighten the neck skin.

Be aware that many people who have double chin also have a small chin. In these people the addition of a chin implant at the time chin liposuction is done, is often necessary to achieve the best result

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Chin liposuction typically not an uncomfortable procedure

+3

This isn't typically a very uncomfortable procedure, and the results can be quite good. Given the relative comfort of the procedure, you might think that your results will be less impressive; nothing could be further from the truth!

Generally speaking, the results from liposuction of the chin are the most impressive and consistent. With good technique and proper patient selection, the change in appearance of this area with liposuction can be remarkable.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction

+3

Liposuction removes fat. If that is the primary problem in a young patient, it is a very successful procedure.

If however there is a looseness of the muscles underneath the neck (platysma), tightening the platysma can achieve a much better result. We prefer the Neck-Lace platysmaplasty, an interlacing wide tightening of the muscle, rather than a down the center approach (Feldman corset platysmaplasty).

Why we store fat or have loose muscles in one particular location seems to be genetic. There are many very young patients who get unsuccessful or partial results from liposuction alone. In many of those patients, they may have a congenitally low hyoid bone or looseness of the platysma muscle.

For older patients, skin looseness starts to be a problem. Their double chins often include fat, skin and muscle looseness. While radiofrequency treatments, Fraxel, etc. may help with very minimal looseness, patients get their optimal results with mini-lifts or facelift.

You and your board certified plastic surgeon can decide which is right for you. He or she can also help to assess what role the bone structure of the jawline plays and whether that can be helped as well.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Liposuction can be effective for under chin

+3

Liposuction under the chin can be very successful to treat this problem area. Sometimes, like you stated, all the working out just won't get rid of it.

Laser liposuction can help a double chin

+2

Although a double chin is a common complaint of the aging face, it can also be present in young people. The causes are not the same, and are usually related to the bone structure of the jaw and chin, and the person's natural fat pads. Liposuction, with or without laser skin tightening, can make a dramatic and long lasting difference by permanently removing the unwanted fat pads. A chin implant or advancement may be helpful in cases where a change in the bony structure of the chin is indicated. 

Robert J. Carpenter, MD
Cumberland Plastic Surgeon

If you are at your ideal body weight and still have excess fat under the chin, the reason is genetic.

+2

You may also have a slightly smaller chin that gives less definition to your jaw line.  Liposuction in conjunction with a chin augmentation would most likely be the best solution.  A plastic surgeon needs to examine you to ensure that your skin elasticity is suitable for liposuction.  The recovery time for this about one week.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Chin liposuction only solution for bulge under chin.

+2

Hi.

Some people have genetic localized bulges which are there whether you are thin or fat. They can be in the neck, the stomach, the love handles, the thighs.

These bulges don't go away with diet or exercise. Chin liposuction and neck liposuction are simple, safe, and very effective. Takes 30 minutes, and people are back at work in 5 days or less.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)