How Long After Rhinoplasty Should I Wait to Get Revision?

I had a Nose job 5 months ago and my nose looks uneven it goes to the side and not straight in the middle. How long can I wait for a revision?

Waiting time for a Rhinoplasty revision

The wait for revision after rhinoplasty depends on the specific problem. The nasal tip resolves slowly and I have found it difficult to get an accurate assessment in most cases until six months postoperatively. Bone problems become apparent earlier around four months in some instances. Each case is unique so there is no "cookie cutter" answer for your question.

680 N Lakeshore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611

The nose takes a year to heal

You need to be patient, because it really does take a year to heal from rhinoplasty. The skin/soft tissue envelope that covers the structural components of the nose will hold swelling for that long. Plus, it typically needs to contract and "shrink wrap" to the changes the initial surgery created in the framework of the nose. Jumping in before that time will logically be less precise, and may not recognize the contractile vectors that are still at play.

Revision rates for rhinoplasty are notoriously high, with most big surveys noting 5-10 % rates. That is because it can be a difficult surgery, may heal with some unexpected modifications, or just not meet the precise standards the central nose requires. That's why most docs will want to stand by their work, and not charge for minor revisions (most offices still need to charge the OR fee). So voice your concern to your physician, and remain patient.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

3205 Glacier Ridge Road
Middleton, WI 53562

How long after Rhinoplasty should I wait to get a Revision?

Patience is a must and revisions are usually done after at least 6 months if healing. I recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon to address your needs.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

555 East Basse Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78209

Wait at least twelve months for Revision Rhinoplasty

It is best to wait at least twelve months for a revision rhinoplasty. This allows time for the swelling to go down and the tissues to soften. This increases the chances that revision rhinoplasty surgery will be successful. Time is on your side have some patience and discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Hopefully this will give you some peace of mind in the interim course.

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Timing of Nasal Revision Surgery

It can take up to a year for swelling to resolve, especially in the tip. This will vary, depending the problem and what was done during the original operation. Intermittant photographs will document and clarify changes during the healing process. This will help in determining the approriate time for a revision.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

You need to be patient.

You may be still swollen, and that may be the problem. Wait at least one year before you consider another rhinoplasty.

A secondary rhinoplasty is more difficult and needs an experienced Plastic Surgeon to make the right diagnosis and plan the correct treatment.

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Rhinoplasty Revision depends on the problem

The conventional wisdom is a year, but if the problem is obvious and easily diagnosed, I don't think you have to wait. Many surgeons advise patients to wait because the problem has not fully become clear or swelling obscures it. But in some cases, the problems is plainly evident much sooner so waiting is not necessary. I would leave that decision up to a revision rhinoplasty specialist that you trust.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

Revision Rhinoplasty waiting period varies

I believe it varies from patient to patient. Some patients will have most of the swelling resolved in 3 months. At this point, if is a gross abnormality such as a crooked bone, then a revision can be done at that time. For more subtle issues such as tip swelling, then waiting a year or more may be prudent.

The bottom line is every patient is different and every surgery is different , so each one should be done on a individual basis.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

44 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10021

Revision rhinoplasty

A revision rhinoplasty should probably wait until about 1 year after having the previous surgery. This will allow the tissues to soften enough to allow for an easier time for the surgeon to correct your problems.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

One should wait a year on average before revision rhinoplasty

It takes a full year for all the swelling to subside and scar tissue to soften after a rhinoplasty. Having a revision before then can alter the healing. Also since all healing hasn't fully taken place, further changes may takee place that may alter the eventual revision surgery plan. Some of the biggest problems I have seen are when revisions have been undertaken by the original surgeon within a few months of the original surgery. Patience is important.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

521 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065