Can a 17-year-old Have Rhinoplasty?

I want to have rhinoplasty done to make my nose smaller and fix it up. When I was little, I   had a severe accident on my dorsum. It altered the way my nose looks. Then at the age of 16, my nose was fractured while in boxing so now the left side is deviated internally and Ihave some breathing problems as a result. Also I simply hate the way my nose looks. It is causing me so much depression that I avoid going out at all costs and in school, I have severe limitations of interaction as a result.

17-year-olds can have Rhinoplasty

+2

It is perefectly reasonable for a 17 yo male to proceed w/ cosmetic Rhinoplasty. Facial growth is complete by this time. Consult with a specilaist in Rhinoplasty for best outcomes.

Dr. G.

Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Psychology and rhinoplasty

+2

First, you need to be done with contact sports like boxing before having a rhinoplasty. There's no point in fixing it if you are going to expose it to the risk of further injury. Secondly, rhinoplasty is a very delicate procedure and the results will most likely not change your life as you would imagine. It would be very wise to seek some professional counseling before considering surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

When is the right age to have rhinoplasty?

+1
In most cases, rhinoplasty should be delayed until the facial skeleton has matured. This is typically in the mid to late teens. For girls, cosmetic rhinoplasty should be delayed until at least 14-16 years old. For boys, facial skeletal growth is usually complete between 16-18 years old. When rhinoplasty is performed after this stage, it is unlikely that the changes from surgery will detrimentally effect facial skeleton development.

What is of equal importance to the physical maturity of the face is the emotional maturity of the patient. When considering cosmetic surgery, it is important to do it for the right motivations-doing it for yourself to look good and feel more confident about your appearance. Additionally, it is important to have realistic expectations about the type of result that can be achieved following rhinoplasty surgery; an improvement in the appearance of the nose, improved balance and harmony between the nose and your facial features, and a timeless result-a result that will look good both right now and in the future as you get older.

Since this has been bothering you for some time, you would benefit from consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what option might be best for you. With your history of trauma to your nose, your surgery may be even more complex so you should spend a lot of time researching to find the right rhinoplasty surgeon for you.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Rhinoplasty for 17-year-old male

+1

It is appropriate and reasonable for a 17 y.o. male to have rhinoplasty surgery, especially when trauma has caused functional and psychological problems. Remember, surgery will only repair your nose, not cure your depression or improve your relationships.

17 year old can have rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, it is possible for a 17-year-old young woman or man to have a rhinoplasty surgery and realign the nasal bones from a fracture. Septoplasty would most likely have to be performed at the same time since it has been fractured as well. Cosmetic rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time of correcting internal breathing and straightening of the nasal pyramid. Insurance will only pay for realignment of the nose and breathing problems and will not pay for any elective cosmetic surgery.

Nasal surgery at 17 is reasonable

+1

It’s not the physiological age, but rather the psychological maturity. Surgeons become increasingly concerned and uneasy the younger the patient. Originally this was due to a belief that surgery at a young age would somehow interfere with the future development and growth of the cartilage and hence the nose. Although many surgeons still believe this, studies have now shown this concern isn’t justified. So it’s back to the maturity of the patient as the deciding factor. Why? Because the post operative course is smoother if you are aware of what to expect and have the ability to manage the stress, pain and healing. You need to ask yourself if you feel you're ready. Maybe ask your parents. If the answer is yes, then go ahead.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

17 is the minimum recommended age for a male to undergo rhinoplasty. However, circumstances are unique in every situation, and I would really need to see photos and/or perform an examination to give you the best advice. If you wish, you may send any photos to Lisa, my patient care coordinator and I would be happy to give you my opinion. My contact info is listed in my profile. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty Surgery may be performed in 17 year old patients without a depressed mood.

+1

You should consult a board-certified, experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon, with your parents, to get an idea of what to expect after surgery. Computer imaging is helpful in showing you what to expect, and to make sure you have realistic expectations.

It's normal to want to repair your broken nose. It's not typical to be so depressed by the appearance of your nose that you avoid going to school.

Please discuss your depressed feelings with your parents and pediatrician as soon as possible: i.e. before seeking Cosmetic Consultation. It has been my experience that Rhinoplasty Surgery will improve your appearance, but will likely NOT improve your depressed mood.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can be done to help your breathing and fracture.

+1

It should be an improvement functionally and cosmetically. But I agree with Dr. Beraka that it would be helpful for you to get psychologic help before.

Rhinoplasty OK at age 17.

+1

Hi.

The face is fully grown at this age and it is fine to have a rhinoplasty.  But you describe fairly serious psychological symptoms that need to be evaluated and treated before you have surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)