Tips to Prevent Further Swelling After Rhinoplasty?

I am 8 weeks post-op and have significant swelling in the supra tip and tip of my nose. I know the final result is still months down the road but I am wondering if there is anything I can do at this point to help reduce the swelling in the meantime. For example, do hot baths/showers increase the swelling?

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

Taping the bridge of the nose and the supratip area (area above the tip) can significantly reduce postoperative edema (swelling). Gentle pressure from the tape does two things. First, it can help 'press' out some of the swelling that results from trapped fluid in the tissues.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, pressure on the tissues causes the collagen fibers in scar tissue to become more organized, which reduces the volume of the swollen area.The most effective for taping is in the first six months after surgery.

You should schedule an appointment with you surgeon to discuss whether or not this is right for you and to get formal instructions on the right way to take it.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

+2

Thanks for the question -

Rhinoplasty surgery, as you've mentioned, always has some degree of swelling that typically can take 6 months to a year to resolve.

In the immediate post-op period, in our San Francisco area practice, we have our patients maintain head elevation and keep a nasal splint on for the first week.

Depending on the amount of tip work performed you should be cautious about employing massage or lymphatic drainage techniques as this can disrupt the cartilage work before things have completely healed.

Usually time is the best tool.

Hang in there!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Nose swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

Yes, hot baths can increase the swelling, but usually on a temporary basis. So can anything that increases the venous distention of the face (bulging veins): this includes straining, lifting, laying down, etc.

In the short term, you may want to consider seeking out therapists with experience in Manual lymphatic drainage to promote decreased facial swelling.

There are some medication options but I would recommend that you avoid these. Homeopathic remedies are largely anecdotal and while they generally do no harm, I am not entirely convinced about their benefits.

Tips to Prevent Further Swelling of the Nasal Tip After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Kag,

Healthy living is the best thing that you can do to help your nose return to normal after rhinoplasty. Avoid smoking, drinking in excess, and partying too much.

You may want to try Bromeline extract, or even eating fresh pineapple. Sleep with the head of your bed elevated so that your nose is above your heart. Speak with your surgeon regarding your concerns. Your surgeon will be able to decide if a low dose injection of a steroid into the supra-tip area would be of value.

Most of all, be patient. Patience is its own reward.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD