Why is There a Discoloration on the Tip of Nose After 4 Years Since my Rhinoplasty?

I have previously undergone tiplasty by redefining it with septal cartilage 4 years ago and recently I noticed there was a purply/bluish spot on the tip of my nose but when I press on it gently the spot goes away. This has happened 3 times now over a period of 2 weeks and it came at sporadic times and with no apparent reasons. I want to know is this spot occuring because of an infection underneath my skin and how serious is it? And is it normal for an infection to occur even after years of recovery? I am of asian decent and have thick skin on my nose if that helps. Thank you very much for your expertise!

Discoloration After Rhinoplasty

+3

Discoloration of the nasal skin following rhinoplasty can be a result of several different things.

If dissection was carried out too close to the surface during surgery, this can predispose the patient to developing changes in coloration and broken capillaries (telangiectasias). This can often be treated with laser or intense pulsed light.

Rhinoplasty can also make the nose more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn. Wearing sunscreen even for minimal amounts of sun exposure can decrease the risks of discoloration.

Skin discoloration combined with additional symptoms of increased redness, swelling, pain, fever, or odor can signify an infection and warrants evaluation by your physician.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Discoloration After Rhinoplasty

+1

There are several cause of tip discoloration after rhinoplasty:

• Formation of aberrant blood vessels after rhinoplasty-  These can be LASERed safely by an experienced LASER surgeon
  • Poor vascular supply to the nose- More commonly seen in patients who have had multiple rhinoplasty procedures
  • Visible graft
  • Thin skin over area- A surgery can thin the skin or in some patients a phenoneom called shrink wrapping can occur where the skin over the nasal tip can look thinner over time.
  • Infection- Early onset of infection can be heralded by discoloration
  • Seek advice from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Tip Discoloration

+1

There are several possible explanations for the skin color, but an infection is not likely one of them. It my be due to pressure from the underlying tip cartilage. Small vessels within the skin  could dilate to give this appearance.  Consult with your surgeon or another physician.