Rhinoplasty: Left Side of Nasal Type Feels Hard, Other Side Feels Soft?

So im 10 weeks post op. And my nose looks a tiny bit deviated to the left around the tip area. I have thick skin and my nose is really swollen. But when i touch the left side i can feel hardness. When I touch the right side it feels soft. Should i be worred about anything? Also my tip is still numb, and when i leave the shower my nose gets really red.

Numbness in rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. A revision rhinoplasty is a much harder surgery with a lot of internal scarring to cut through. This can also be a reason for prolonged numbness. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Swelling of Your Nose After Rhinoplasty is Common

+1

It is common to sometimes have some asymmetric swelling of your nose after rhinoplasty surgery.  Several factors affect this such as: what was performed, how extensive was the surgery, and/or what approach was used? In your case, how much tip work was performed?  The numbness that you feel is also normal.

During your next post operative visit, it would be a good idea to bring up your concerns with your surgeon.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS