My Nose Has Been Whistling After Discovering a Small Hole in my Septum. Will It Heal Naturally or Will I Need Surgery?

Nose

Whistling through a hole in septum. Options?

+1

If it is a very new perforation there may be a chance that it will close.  This seldom happens.  There is also the issue or why did this happen?  Does the underlying cause need to be addressed?  Best to go to an experienced nasal surgeon.  Together you will come up with a plan.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-nose

Surgery to correct small hole in septum

+1

A small hole in the nasal septum will not heal on its own and needs to be surgically corrected.  Whistling is a direct result of cross ventilation through the septum from the hole.

+1

Whistling and crusting are a common problem with small perforations. If the perforation is new it will sometimes heal but this is uncommon. The options available include observation (doing nothing), surgery to close the hole or placement of a septal button which is essentially a silicone grommet that plugs the hole. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Holes or perforations in the nasal septum often whistle

+1

The most common causes of holes or perforations in the nasal septum are from surgery, trauma or overuse of medications such as Afrin or Cocaine. Since it disrupts the nasal airflow it can cause both whistling and even a feeling of nasal blockage. The normal airflow becomes disrupted. Some pateints even get crusting inside the nose and/or frequent nosebleeds.

The best treatment is to have the hole surgically closed.