Will Rhinoplasty Affect my Voice?

Does rhinoplasty change the voice? The job is going to work inside the nose. It is very importance for me because I'm a vocalist and it is very important for me.

Rhinoplasty and Voice

+2

This is a very good question, because this is obviously a concern for those who sing professionally.  My advice to patients is that although it is possible that there will be vocal changes, it is highly unlikely.  The biggest risk to the voice during Rhinoplasty is intubation, or placement of a breathing tube past the vocal cords.  To ensure the patients safety, I use a Board Certified Anesthesiologist to make sure that the intubation is smooth, and I place the patient on Prevacid (proton pump inhibitor for gastric acid control) for 1 week before and 1 week after the procedure.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Many a Singer Has Had Rhinoplasty

+2

Hello, friend in Malaysia.

You need not worry. Rhinoplasty will not change your voice.

Dean Martin, a great and famous American singer never suffered any voice problems after his rhinoplasty. Neither did Milton Berle, Fannie Brice and others.

If rhinoplasty changes peoples' voices, fewer such operations would be done. Go for it!!!

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty and your voice

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure should not affect the voice appreciably.  There might be some very, very subtle differences if this is a large volume reduction rhinoplasty and the patient is a professional singer.  It would be very subtle at best.  

Will Rhinoplasty Affect the Voice?

+1

It's possible but doesn't usually create a problem. I discuss this with all my patients. In my experience over a number of years, including operating on vocalists, I have not had one tell me that their voice was adversely affected. If you are a highly paid professional singer, I would recommend more than one surgical opinion because I do think that it is possible for the resonance of the voice to be affected to some small degree and this might not be something you want to risk.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Surgery affecting the Voice

+1

Hi Malaysia7444,

Great question.

Yes, rhinoplasty surgery could potentially alter the voice. Most of the voice changes are in the immediate period of healing due to swelling, mucous, or congestion, and generally resolves with time. Long-term changes to the voice can theoretically occur by altering the resonance of the voice. However, any voice changes are undetectable, except to professional vocalists. Some vocalists appreciate the change or improvement, while some don't. I agree with Dr. Yagoda, and only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon, laryngologist, and your vocal coach help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty will not affect voice

+1

It is generally accepted that cosmetic rhinoplasty will not affect your voice. Not to worry. Dr. G

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Voice Changes

+1

Properly done rhinoplasty should have no effect on your voice. If the internal functional aspects of the nose are improved during the surgery (such as fixing a deviated septum) there is a strong likelihood that your vocalization should significantly improve. This is because the air flowing through your nose through your vocal chords is freer to move with no obstruction. The other important thing to consider is that under general anesthetic a very small diameter tube should be place through the vocal chords in order to avoid any damage. I've operated on a number of celebrity singers and none of them have ever had any problems at all after the surgery. Of course, you must realize that there is always a tiny chance that voice changes could occur despite your best efforts and you must take this into consideration when deciding upon having elective cosmetic surgery.

Geoffrey W. Tobias, MD
Englewood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Vocal Changes

+1

Dear Malaysia,

As a Facial Plastic Surgeon and Otolaryngologist specializing in care of the professional voice, I will tell you that rhinoplasty and any nasal surgery can change your voice.  However, this is regarding sounds purely produced through the nose.  For example, the "mmm", "nnn" and "nng" sounds will be clearer.  Sounds that come purely from the mouth like the "ppp"  and "ttt" will be unchanged. 

Singers often fear nasal surgery when they are armed with misinformation. For example, singers often refer to Barbra Streisand's choice not to have surgery because it might alter her voice.  Ms. Streisand's  trademark sound was humming, a sound produced mainly through her nose. In addition, her "nasal twang" was due to hyponasal air flow...that is that too little air was emitted through the nose.  Properly done surgery, by nature, will increase air flow through the nose.  For most singers, this will result in clearer sound and the need to use less diaphragmatic support to emit the same sound volume.  However, as in Ms. Streisand's case, nasal surgery could reduce the "nasal twang: so loved and characteristic of Ms. Streisand's voice. 

Best of luck in your decision.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda, NYC Facial Plastic Surgeon and Otolaryngologist specializing in care of the professional voice

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Will Rhinoplasty affect Voice

+1

It is unlikely that a rhinoplasty will affect your voice, but it does depend on what will be done during your surgery. There are risks with every operation - talk to your surgeon and individuals that are managing your career.